First saltwater tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
He title says it all I'm am getting ready to embark on my first saltwater reef tank. I picked up a 35 gallon tank and stand on Craigslist for 25 bucks and am in the process of cleaning and re siliconing the tank so it's gonna be a few days but I need to know a few basics. Im completely new and am looking for a good jumping off point what equipment will I need and how much live rock will I need?

What kind of tank are you going for? I've been considering getting a salt tank (if I can find a good deal on things lol) and that seems to be the most important factor that determines everything else.

Like in a Fish Only with Live Rock (no corals) you want like 1.5/2 pounds of Rock per gallon. But in a Reef I've heard/read 1 pound/gallon is good. Also, although still highly recommended, a skimmer isn't 100% needed for FOWLR. Finally, light wise, I don't think that a FOWLR needs the same amount/quality of lighting as a Reef. Like you can "get away" with some compact fluorescent lights in FOWLR instead of going MH or LEDs.

Note that I'm not an expert so take that with a grain of salt... this is just information I've gathered from time here reading articles and forums. I've not actually put any of this information into practice though.

Back
Top Bottom