First SW Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treemanone2003

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's my first attempt with SW. I chose the nano for two reasons. First was because of limited room and the second being I like a challenge since things can go from bad to worse pretty quickly.

It's a previously used, (free) Oceanic Bio Cube 12 gal that I started this 9 weeks ago. Put in about 14 pounds of LS and 6 of LR and let it run. The LR came from Petco with a snail and hermit crab hitchhiker. The snail left us about a week ago. Oh well, life goes on.

Went to a highly recommended (from a few friends) SW only LFS. I explained my whole story and asked some loaded questions. Got everything I was looking for as far as answers.

So, my girl and I came home with the following :
About a 6 pound chunk of LR and with it, 5 Brittle Starfish hitchhikers. ?
4 Nassarius snails
2 Astraea snails
1 Ricordia frag
1 Watchman Goby (Blue Dot)
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

Since the addition, the hermit crab is all over the place. The Goby was the first in and disappeared right into the original LR. The shrimp was next and found a nice hole to hide in also. I'm not sure if they both know each other exist, but the Goby has found a new spot to chill. Neither like the hermit crab so far. Two snails are making the rounds and the other 4 knew what to do in the sand. The frag is opening up nicely and I think it's got a fair, but not over powering amount of flow.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400896877.213916.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400896914.843126.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400896970.290303.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400897042.144914.jpg

I believe it is bribo. He never mentioned ever doing an upgrade of any kind. Tank was only used about for months total. Maybe the photo will help ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400938619.471847.jpg

Yup stock lights, but 24 watt not 36 sorry lol. Should be fine for softies and lps. I've heard of people keeping montipora under them as well but they may be an experiment haha

Ha ha !!! I get it now. Hmm.... I see an upgrade in the future. Possibly very near future as good lighting promotes better environments !! And more frags !!!

So a 14-15 hour update. At light shutoff last night, the Pistol became like a party animal. Shut the white off and with just the blue and moon on, he shot out of his spot and was dashing around. Woke up this morning and the sand is no longer flat and level across the bottom. Big drifts all over the place !!! He was quite busy, lol !!! I know it's currently in the same hole the Goby was last seen so they may have met up at some point.

I was trying to decide placement of the frag and didn't glue it yesterday. Well one of the snails crawled upon it and both were on the sand. I've replaced it already to another spot and within ten minutes it's opening back up.

I like the idea of all non aggressive items until I can setup my (freebie) 70g bow front next July. Now if I could only get the dogs to stop running around for a bit so I can find the Goby ??

I love my blue dot watchman. He may not have the prettiest color, but his personality is amazing. His fins are a midnight blue and it's just awesome when he swims around to eat. His shiny blue dots are pretty cool. The color behind him, just like yours and I'm not quite sure what to call it. Kinda greenish greyish stripes in some places.
At first he wasn't a very active fish, but now he's all over the place. The only problem I've had with him is when he ate a Stomatella snail in the tank. He is really peaceful and sometimes I'll catch him kind of hovering in the middle of the tank. As if he were levitating. It's pretty cool.

I love my blue dot watchman. He may not have the prettiest color, but his personality is amazing. His fins are a midnight blue and it's just awesome when he swims around to eat. His shiny blue dots are pretty cool. The color behind him, just like yours and I'm not quite sure what to call it. Kinda greenish greyish stripes in some places.
At first he wasn't a very active fish, but now he's all over the place. The only problem I've had with him is when he ate a Stomatella snail in the tank. He is really peaceful and sometimes I'll catch him kind of hovering in the middle of the tank. As if he were levitating. It's pretty cool.

I can't wait for it to get really settled in here. Only about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" at this point and not too colored up yet. I'm looking forward to this being a great experience and for now just the K.I.S.S. method. Figuring a couple days to a week before they get used to a home setting and out of their "getting stared at" they were so used to environment.

Back
Top Bottom