First sw tank - cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlaboris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all... I hate to ask another question aout cycling (i figure you pros get tired of hearing these)... But here goes:

I am 1 week into a new tank setup: 36 gallon, canister filter, 40lbs ls, 40 lbs lr. Tested the water after the first 2 days and again tonight - heres what i got:

Amonia 8 ppm
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm

Is this normal? I thought i should have seen more seperation between the spikes? Remember - its only been 1 week.
See my pics...
Thanks for all the great advice..

I don't think there is anything as normal when it comes to cycling. It really depends on how much bacteria is present in the tank before you start the cycle process. As long as the nitrites and ammonia go to zero it is all good.

WHAT I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU IS VERY IMPORTANT! From your water reading I can tell that you have not turned your rock to release the ammonia that has built up underneath for the next week turn your rock every day and at the end of the week aqua-scape your rock and your ammonia should be fine in around 2 weeks.
For more info email me at David.shatz123@gmail.com

Turning of live rock?

Expert...

Thanks for the tip - honestly I haven't heard about that in all of my newbie research... It makes sense, however, with my Amonia levels being high already - why do you think this is the case?

Also, I've ready about 50% for and 50% against water changes during the cycle... Since water change cost money - I'd rather not change during the cycle unless it will really help. I can tell you that my water is crystal clear and doesn't smell bad at all after 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom