First Test New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not entirely true. It will stall your cycle some. During a water change you will be removing ammonia and nitrite which BB feed on. Take away the "food" and you limit the amount of BB that can grow.

I suppose I wait then and hope when the cycle finishes and I then change the water that the salinity goes back up.

Thanks again. I would have been lost without you all.

nohika said:
What test kit are you using, out of curiosity? Those are pretty odd numbers (not in general, but just the decimals).

Can someone help. I am using a Nutrafin master test kit to test my water. You simply match the colour of the test tube to a chart with numbers written next to it. For example I have just tested my rank and the ammonia in the test tube matches the colour with 2.4 written next to it. The test is measured in mg/l. So I assumed my tank reading was Ammonia 2.4 but I had my water tested at the lfs and he said my ammonia was 1 he was using an API kit. Someone please help me out. What is the difference, what is the standard and is there a conversion to each other?

Thanks

Abi

I'm
Not sure about the test kits. I use API myself.

For the salinity- do you have glass tops? Or a canopy? Check for salt crystals from evaporation. If salt is sticking to something you could be losing it that way. Most LFS I know make their salt water at a lower density because not everyone (and I don't know why) tips off with RO water. I would recommend adding salt water at your next top off instead of RO as its not critical right now.

I'm
Not sure about the test kits. I use API myself.

For the salinity- do you have glass tops? Or a canopy? Check for salt crystals from evaporation. If salt is sticking to something you could be losing it that way. Most LFS I know make their salt water at a lower density because not everyone (and I don't know why) tips off with RO water. I would recommend adding salt water at your next top off instead of RO as its not critical right now.

Sorted the salinity thanks, but cannot get my head round the test results, the results I get (i.e values) do not match up anywhere with everyone else's. Wish I had bought the API one now and will next time but for now I have £50 worth of nutrafin testers.

I've seen a few posts lately with the salinity dropping problem. I never had it but its weird and ur not the only one

What's wrong with the results. Ur cycling right? It's normal to have a high everything and my nitrate was over 100ppm when I cycled. That's good because the bacteria are eating nitrite

Jason M said:
What's wrong with the results. Ur cycling right? It's normal to have a high everything and my nitrate was over 100ppm when I cycled. That's good because the bacteria are eating nitrite

It's not the high results that puzzling me it's the format the Nutrafin tester displays them compared to everyone else's. I just don't get it lol.

Back
Top Bottom