first time 180 stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undeliverer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first time doing saltwater after doing fresh for 10 plus years ... I will be using my 180 since i was told that the bigger the better lol ... I want a reef safe setup since i might get into corals in the future ... the wife and I like certain fish and we were wondering how many of these fish and what other fish would go well with the ones we like

A few fish my wife and I like:
A pair of clown fish
Fire fish #?
banggaii cardinal fish #?
bi color blenny
some kind of goby with a shrimp friend ... in a tank this size could i have 2 pairs
yellow tang?
coral beauty

also about how many snails/crabs/shrimp should a 180 have? how many pounds of live rock?

would like some hardy fish that would go well with the above if the fish above are compatible .... thank you so much!:thanks:

The above seems fine but I'd skip the small gobies unless you add the mm first, let them establish and figure out where their holes are. Otherwise it'll be tough to get them food in that size tank.

You could add another tang of a different genus, some type of reef safe wrasse like a melanurus or xmas or yellow coris. All of which are hardy. Uh you could do a hawkfish, some anthias once you get the tank more established

I have a few small fish in my 90g but they always seem to get lost in the bigger tanks they hang more in the rocks,
as for rock a lb to lb1/2 is recommended as for sand it depends how deep you want it I'd start with 100lb and go from there can always add more,
I always loved the banjjii cardinals , I had a pair they never moved from the top corner of the tank that was my only complaint about them .
tangs , wrasses are great choices as they are very active. I would also go with the larger clowns like yellow banded maroons there personality's are awesome , little fish are neat too but always seem to hid in the rocks .
how you set your rock lots of ledges and caves for your bigger fish to swim through as they love to explore ,

I have 6 candy cane pistol shrimp in my 90g I'm lucky if I see them 1 time per year lol
hermits and snails I add a 100 of each every 6 months as they always become a snack to the wrasses , coral banded shrimp are neat but don't get them if you get a pair of fire shrimp they don't get along , skunks are neat too hanging on the ledges cleaning fish,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom