First time having a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dakotak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had lots of freshwater tanks before and decided that i would like to start on a salt water tank. What would be a good starting fish for me? I have a 30 gal tank and might be getting an 80 gallon corner tank soon. I eventually want to get enough experience to get a seahorse tank but i know that they are very hard to take care of and will take awhile before i am ready for that.

Time is key. Don't rush, as your tank will show it and you will have a better understanding.

Lights-Lighting all turns around what you would like to put in your tank, such as corals. Better the light, the more diff type of corals you can have. This is how I would class some of the diff lights.
2 bulb HO T5
4 bulb HO T5
6 bulb HO T5 or MH 150w/ 250w anywere from tank depth. The 250w I would say prob a 90Gal or taller.
Reef LED'S- depending on the brand and how good the LED is.

Sump- Bigger downstairs, is better. Allowing you to use the full amount of space you got.--For example on my 75Gal tank I got a 33Long sump with a wet/dry filter, refug, and a Hydor skimmer. As filter goes, it all depends what your personal idea is.

In the end work around what you want, and good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom