First time setting up a Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick_Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking into setting up a 10 gallon Saltwater aquarium. Ive been watching YouTube videos over how to set them up and stuff like that. I just had a quick question they are saying you have to have a lot of water flow is it ok if you just get live rock and put a air stone under it or will that work? Thank you to everyone that responds.

I was looking into setting up a 10 gallon Saltwater aquarium. Ive been watching YouTube videos over how to set them up and stuff like that. I just had a quick question they are saying you have to have a lot of water flow is it ok if you just get live rock and put a air stone under it or will that work? Thank you to everyone that responds.

Nope no airs tones in SW. Power heads an a good filter create plenty of flow.

If you're new to salt water I would highly suggest getting the biggest tank possible. The smaller the tank the more difficult it is to keep healthy.

+1 to no airstones in salt water.

Check out hydor koralia power heads for flow. They are the best budget powerhead out there.

For water flow I would shoot for two powerheads giving 10x - 40x the tank volume in flow per hour.

Fulval just came out with a awesome filter, calle the C3 I think? I'll post a link for you later on haha. I'm upgrading mine to that

Could a 10 gallon filter work for it or not? I don't want to much flow where the fish can't swim.

Suggested flow for a salt water tank is 10x - 40x the tank volume per hour. The fish are perfectly used to the high flow so don't worry about it.

If you really want to use a hob filter get one rated for at least twice the volume. I agree that starting bigger is better, it is quite hard to maintain stable temp and salinity on such a small tank. I started with a 55g and almost instantly wanted to upgrade (addictive hobby) you may also be disappointed with the fish selection for a 10 (no clowns)

Suggested flow for a salt water tank is 10x - 40x the tank volume per hour. The fish are perfectly used to the high flow so don't worry about it.

So would a 20 gallon filter be good for a 10 gallon sw tank?

If you really want to use a hob filter get one rated for at least twice the volume. I agree that starting bigger is better, it is quite hard to maintain stable temp and salinity on such a small tank. I started with a 55g and almost instantly wanted to upgrade (addictive hobby) you may also be disappointed with the fish selection for a 10 (no clowns)

Should I buy something like this?

Attachments

• image-1066065905.jpg
    image-1066065905.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 64
That might work, I use the 420 Power head but I can't spell the name. Pet moutain is a good place to buy stuff at, there cheaper an have sells often

If you're looking at powerheads I recommend getting ones with magnet bases, I have heard horror stories about the suction cups falling :(
What is your plan for this tank? What do you intend to keep? This can determine what kind of fork train is best and what kind of lighting you'll need...

Ha! Fork train. *what kind of filtration...

I was just thinking about having a fish tank with some live rocks. And the filtration just a 20 gallon hang on the back filter with a water flow maker.

What I meant was what do you want to put in it? Fish/corals? That will dictate what equipment you may need.

I was looking into getting 2 or 3 small fish I just haven't been the are pet store yet. What does petco sell that can maybe fit in a 10 gallon

Back
Top Bottom