First water change in new empty tank -- questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been cycling my empty 37 gallon, 12 lbs LR, 31 lbs BR tank for five weeks now. The ammonia levels have subsided to zero, and I'll have to double-check the nitrates and nitrites tomorrow.

But assuming all levels have zeroed, I plan to do my first water change Friday before I start adding fish. My tank has been empty since the cycle, not even snails or hermit crabs. As a result, there is a nice brown carpet of diatoms on the surface of the sand, the rocks. Well, just about everywhere in the tank.

I am wondering what should I do about the diatoms. Should I use the powerhead as an underwater leaf-blower, stir up the diatoms and suck out as much of them as I can as I siphon out the water, or should I just leave it as it is? It looks unsightly to me, but I assume the animal life doesn't care.

I know this sounds cruel, but if the levels turn out to be 0's across the board, do a 25% water change and wait 1 more week. Test the levels and then if it is still 0, add a clean up crew... about 1 astrea snails and 10 blue leg hermits will clean up the diatoms. No need to siphon them out... after this, you should be ready to add a fish or 2. JMO

Back
Top Bottom