First water change on 10g saltwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, my 10g saltwater tank has been up for almost a month now.
It's just an urchin and bristleworm hitch hikers. I have yet to do a water change, just top offs.

I bought all live sand
Live rock from an established tank
And salt water from an established tank.

I've been keeping an eye on the parameters,
pH is normally 7.9-8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 32.5-33
Specific gravity 1.024-1.025
(The first 3 weeks)

Today I tested the water

pH 8.0
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate somewhere between 0-5.0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 30
Specific gravity 1.022

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427323495.550064.jpg

My question is how much water should I change, just a couple gallons?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

salinity is a little high , ammonia should be 0ppm but a water change will fix that,
since your salinity is high I would drain a gallon and just add ro/di water no salt let it run over night check salinity and do one 1/2 gal water change with ro/di no salt and repeat until you reach in the range 1.021 ppm to 1.026 ppm any where in that range is good just don't try to do it all to fast , I keep mine at 1.025,
the salted ro/di water you add on a normal water change should match the salinity in your tank .
I mix 5g at a time X 6 buckets with covers and store it at room temp , I use a 2 cup measuring cup when mixing and always maintain a steady 1.025 , when I need one it's ready to use just shake covered bucket a minute or so and its ready to go, in your case you could do 1one five gallon bucket and take out a gal as you need it , mixing in 5g bucket seems to be easier for measuring purposes ,

Back
Top Bottom