****first water test results are weird****

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Using an API marine aquarium testing kit, I tried testing the Amonia levels in my tank.

My tank is currently on its 3rd or 4th day cycle with the live rock in it. The water has been in there for about a week.

I followed the directions to test the ammonia, it looks like I did everything right.

I tested in 2 different containers, after waiting for 5 minutes after shaking them.

1 container stayed clear and the another container was clear color, but cloudy?

It was not green, like the color chart showed it should be.

IS this normal?? is it bad???

Or does this mean it is for sure I am doing something wrong?

Did you wait until 5 minutes to check the vial?

yup, I filled it up with my water to the 5 ML, then added 8 drops, shook it, let it sit for 5 minutes and its clear. Does that mean my water is messed up really bad?

You might not have that much ammonia to measure yet. Give it some more time. It took 7 days for mine to show any ammonia.

Serge, what method are you using for cycling, raw shrimp? I saw that you are using live rock, but if the rock was fully cured, and there was no die off, then you won't have an ammonia source.

Is Ammonia good or bad for me right now? I have cured live rock and bagged live sand from pet store.

I DID NOT put any shrimp in yet for cycling.

I put in a yellow tail damsel yesterday. as of today, about 15 hours later, the fish is still alive and doing fine.

what is my ammonia level supposed to be at? 0?

Is this the rock from the other tank?
That may be fully cured. How much rock do you have?

If this if for the 36 gallon tank you should have about 50 pounds of rock in there.

So please tell us everthing that is in your tank and how you started the cycle.

oh boy....well there are lots of threads on cycling here, but the most prefered is to not use live fish, it just isn't very kind. The best method is to get a raw shrimp from the seafood section of your local grocery store and put it in your tank. This will create ammonia, which will spike (go very high) then your nitrites will start to spike, then you'll get nitrates. When your ammonia and nitrites spike and then go to zero, do a 50% water change (to help get your nitrates lower) and then for the most part you are cycled and can SLOWLY start adding livestock. Also are you using tap water or RO/DI water?

so if you can return that fish to the store, it is the kindest thing you can do for it since you're only a few days in, most likely no harm done yet.

This is how I cycled the tank.

First I added the water. I used the water through an e-spring water filter. It is not RO water but it is close. It removes all chlorine and has a UV light. removes like 98% of all harmful contaminants. I then added water conditioner made by prime.

Then I added Instant Ocean Salt into my tank I let It clear.

Next day I added 2 bags of Arga-live live sand into the tank.

2 days later i purchased only about 5 pounds of cured live rock from local fish store. A fiji and a base rock. I was told they have bacteria on them.

Next day I foud a guy on craiglist thtat is selling premium live fiji rock. I came to his house and he had insane fish tanks running in his basements, but the rock that he was selling was inside a bucket with a powerhead in it. I am not sure if this rock would be considered a live/cured rock? This rock is about 13 pounds.

Would it be safe now for me to start adding cleanup crew like snails, hernit crabs etc.??

please read my above post, I would not recommend adding anything, actually the opposite, return the fish you have, and cycle it correctly. It takes 3 - 8 weeks for a full cycle depending on the tank. The one thing to remember in saltwater tanks, there is no rushing, that goes for cycling, adding livestock....everything takes time, but if you're patient in the end it it totally worth it!

You have some reading to do to make up for possible bad lfs advice.

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank (STARTING OUT)

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine article

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Refugiums

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Please read the above. You need to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during the cycle and then test additional water parameters after.

Only then should you add any livestock.

Back
Top Bottom