Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollyfamily21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just started my tank march 11,2012. I am getting mixed messages of when to place fish and coral in my tank. I have 11 hermit crabs 25 lbs of live rock in a 24 gallon aqua pod. Please give me feedback. I want a poll tankin here. Thank you for your help. ?

Your tank may have cycled somewhat instantly if you used that much actual live (as opposed to base) rock. Since you already have some hermit crabs in there, the best thing to do IMO is to feed them some sinking pellets and keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. Ammonia and nitrite should always be zero, and you want to target 10ppm or less on nitrates. Realize theses numbers vary over time and just because they might all be zeros today doesn't mean they will be next week. (Cycling by the way is a term we use for "establishing a beneficial bacteria bed."). When both ammonia and nitrite are zero and stay that way, we surmise that the bacteria have established themselves. Only then would you begin to add fish slowly. (one every two to four weeks)

Back
Top Bottom