Fish are all dead!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just dump all the water out and clean up the tank .. Still usin same filtration because of the bacteria. I'm gunna let it run for a week and see what's the levels once it's doing okay I start adding clean up crew

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have much experience with salt but I'm following the same thought process as 54 and Big. Personally, I would probably wait a bit longer than a week. I've got a 12g BioCube but it's more like 9.5g in the tank itself as the filtration holds a bit in the back. I'm very anxious to put a pistol shrimp and goby inside but there's no rush for me as I want everything to be perfect first. It's been running for 6 weeks tomorrow with live sand, live rock and a snail and hermit crab hitchhikers that came with the LR. Again, there's no rush as I have nothing to prove but everything to lose.

You do 100% water changes? That could be an issue if the temp, ph or salinity isn't perfectly matched to the old water.

Okay Ty guys for advice so when it comes to water changes I have to just use freshwater like ro water correct?!? I can not use any saltwater or pre mix water to replenish the tank. Now this is a controversy because several people told me do water change n put saltwater ..??? It would make sense to use fresh water

Last edited by a moderator:
You do water changes with sw. You top off the tank with fresh water as the salt does not evaporate.

When I do a wc I add nutri ocean water. The water is already mixed with salt with and prepare . So I dont have to mix n process saltwater . The hydrometer salinity level was really high so I had to put ro water.. ( not mixed just water in the tank).

It sounds like the op (please correct me if I'm wrong, op) is topping off with ro and doings wc's with sw.

OP, just to clarify for you:

Water changes are a replacement. When you take out 20% of the water, the tank salinity is still what it was before you took some water out, there's just less water of that salinity. Salinity is basically measuring a ratio of water to salt. That ratio stays the same until either more salt or more freshwater is added. When you take 20% of the water out, you have to add that water back and it MUST be saltwater with the same salinity as the water you took out. The water you take out is saltwater, with a certain salinity, therefore you have to replace it with water of the same salinity.

Top offs are an addition. Water evaporates from the tank, but as you know salt does not evaporate with the water. Therefore, the only thing you need to add is the water that evaporated, which is RO water. Never top off with saltwater, because saltwater is not what is missing. You need to add RO.

Another problem is 100% WCs. First of all, it is not necessary. 10% water changes once a week is enough, and is a lot safer. The second problem with 100% water changes is that it is extremely difficult to accurately reproduce the same conditions in your new water as the old. It isn't so simple as just dumping out he old water and dumping some ocean water back in. This will kill your fish, if not immediately, over time. There are factors like ph, temperature, salinity, etc. that NEED to be very similar if not exactly what the old water is for the 100% WC to be safe. Even then, it is a much larger task, and an unnecessary one at that to remove all the water from your tank. I highly recommend doing smaller water changes on a regular schedule.

Sorry for the wall of text, but please read it OP, it's really important stuff I've learned from the other users here on AA, condensed into a few paragraphs.

That's what I caught ding. Also are you using a canister filter? I have not had any experience with them but grazing through your post it sounded like a canister filter. Also what was your salinity at and what are you using to measure it?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom