Fish ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have the normal clowns, gobies, tangs etc. during the day my tank is flowing with fish. At night they all hide in the rocks.

Can you recommend reef safe nocturnal fish that wil be like a shift rotation with my current fish? Preferably ones that would glow neon like my corals under led lights?

A beautiful nocturnal fish that hugs the reef is a six line wrass or even try a neon blue goby.

What size tank do you have? And, if you can, what is your full stocklisting?

I'm sorry tank size is 125 gallon and stocklist is as follows:

FISH
Yellow tail Damsel
12 blue hermit crabs
Two Clown Fish

2 Sand sifting star fish
4 Mexican snails
2 Cleaner shrimp
Goby
2 turbo snails
Blue Tang
Fox face fish
6 turbo snails
Sand Sifting Star
Knight watch Goby
Star Fish
Yellow Tang
2 Fire fish
4 Green Chromis
2 Blue and Yellow damsels

CORALS

Hammer Coral
Mushroom coral
Duncan
Toadstool leather

Orange Zooanthid
Green Star Polyp
Red Mushroom
Blue Hammer Coral
Green Polyp Clove
Green Brain Coral
Red Colt Coral
Frog Spawn Coral
Trumpet Coral
Neon White Flower Pot Goniopora
Blue Duncan
Yellow Dot Bran Favia

You said you have a 'goby' and then later you say 'knight watch goby'. Is that 1 or 2 gobies? Can we see a picture of your tank? It usually helps, knowing if they are overstocked or not.

BTW, awesome coral choices :)

You said you have a 'goby' and then later you say 'knight watch goby'. Is that 1 or 2 gobies? Can we see a picture of your tank? It usually helps, knowing if they are overstocked or not.

BTW, awesome coral choices :)

I do have 2 gobies. 1 is a small guy, can't remember the tyep of goby sand sifts REALLY well the other is a bigger knight watch goby.

I'll post a pic of my tank now from my phone albeit not the best quality.

And thanks for the kudos on the corals! :) I keep watching for colorful, affordable flowy corals and buying these in frags makes them affordable so over time they will fill out my rocks

Here is the picture

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110902_090548.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110902_090548.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 77
I think cardinals are nocturnal ...,but they just look more like a FW fish than SW IMO...
I don't think 6 lines are...they make cocoons at night to sleep in

ozorowsky said:
I do have 2 gobies. 1 is a small guy, can't remember the tyep of goby sand sifts REALLY well the other is a bigger knight watch goby.

I'll post a pic of my tank now from my phone albeit not the best quality.

And thanks for the kudos on the corals! :) I keep watching for colorful, affordable flowy corals and buying these in frags makes them affordable so over time they will fill out my rocks

I assume the goby is a diamond watchman goby :) I'm getting one soon I really like them.

I don't really see a whole lot of corals... But I agree with you on the "soft corals are better than stony ones" position :)

I assume the goby is a diamond watchman goby :) I'm getting one soon I really like them.

I don't really see a whole lot of corals... But I agree with you on the "soft corals are better than stony ones" position :)

The corals don't pop out in the picture on my cell phone, I guess if I really played with the settings I could make them appear more; they are mostly smaller right now cuz I bought the $10 and $20 frags, so as they grow I've positioned them to look nice.

What do you think of a lemon merengue wrasse?

And YES it is a diamond watchman goby! :) Good call

ozorowsky said:
The corals don't pop out in the picture on my cell phone, I guess if I really played with the settings I could make them appear more; they are mostly smaller right now cuz I bought the $10 and $20 frags, so as they grow I've positioned them to look nice.

What do you think of a lemon merengue wrasse?

And YES it is a diamond watchman goby! :) Good call

LOL as soon as I am ready I'm totally gonna raid the $20-$30 section at my LFS, maybe order from Atlantic Sea Farms since shipping is only $20 and they have really cheap beginner corals.

Just googled the LMW. They are REALLY cool looking! Where did you hear about them? It said that they are coral safe, but may eat small invertebrates, just a warning

Thanks about the goby! I saw one on YouTube and said "I have to own this" LOL. Plus my rock scape is perfect for one, since I have a bunch of low crannies. I have seen my BG Chromis dart out of them it's hilarious.

I would get a neon goby, but it would just become a future meal for my future hawkfish :(

I would get a neon goby, but it would just become a future meal for my future hawkfish :(

OHHHH the neon goby looks NICE! That won't have an issue with the other gobies I have?

I saw the wrasse at random at my LFS; I might go pick it up tonight. The only small inverts I have are the blue hermits and a few turbo snails, but none of them are super small.

You thank the Lemon Wrasse and neon goby are nocturnal and will swim around at night? My tank looks EMPTY at night; ALL my fish hide in the rocks lol

And the corals all glow neon looking, it would be awesome to have like a neon party going on at night.

The neon gobies are VERY small, thats my only concern. Same reason I'm not getting a green clown goby. I would either never see them or they would get eaten by the longnose hawkfish. I would do a TON of research on the LMW. Just in case ;)

You're lucky OZO, I can't get my fish to come out during the day! (other than feeding time)

You're lucky OZO, I can't get my fish to come out during the day! (other than feeding time)

How long has your tank been established. I'm sure there's a reason for it; Lights too bright maybe? I'm sure someone with experience can chime in. All of my fish come out searching for food all day long and then as halides go off actinics stay on they sink down a little then when lunars are on they are GONE lol.

If you look at the pic I posted you can see most of my fish there, but at night it looks empty other than teh beautiful glowing corals.

Well, I'm not too worried just yet, I work 2nd shift, and I have a feeling that they are out all day. Just seems whenever I come around they come and say hi for about 5 minutes and then go behind the rocks...

I'm sure I'm just crazy.

Well, I'm not too worried just yet, I work 2nd shift, and I have a feeling that they are out all day. Just seems whenever I come around they come and say hi for about 5 minutes and then go behind the rocks...

I'm sure I'm just crazy.

I bet thats it; just pure bad luck on the timing.

I kept a hawk and a goby together for over a year in my 75...
they were buds actually..i love hawk fish

Attachments

• DSCN1558hawkgoby.jpg
    DSCN1558hawkgoby.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 45
also, with my current stock list do you thikn a puffer would do ok in my tank?

Back
Top Bottom