Fish of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
So, with all things going accordingly, i figure i start getting some experience/ideas/suggestions/advice and fish and inhabitants.

Well, as for the list of fish, heres what i had in mind.

1x Starry Blenny
1x Spotted CardinalFish
1x Blue/Green Chromis
1x Firefish
1x Yellow Watchman goby
1x Purple pseudochromis

And this is in my 55G

Blennies and Gobies my have some issues in the same tank. They are very similar fish. IMO Cardinals are very beautiful fish but they seem to be stationary most of the time.

Well i'd rather have a goby then the blenny. So blenny out.

Well i'd rather have a goby then the blenny. So blenny out.

I love the yellow goby too. There is always a catch though. have you ever seen a goby sift sand? They take in big mouthfuls of sand and it comes out there gills. Here is the catch. gobies can damage corals that sit on the sand substrate ie. brains. the sand falls onto the corals and irratates them.

Yeah, i've read about this on this board also. Its alright though, i plan to have little to no corals sitting on the sand. Feather Dusters at most, and those aren't even corals. So its alright, plus, thats what i love about the watchman goby. That it does that. So i definitely want to get one. Even if it means i cant have too many corals on the sand lol.

In general, pseudochromis are pretty aggressive fish. Some of the more passive fish you want may have issues with it.

I love the yellow goby too. There is always a catch though. have you ever seen a goby sift sand? They take in big mouthfuls of sand and it comes out there gills. Here is the catch. gobies can damage corals that sit on the sand substrate ie. brains. the sand falls onto the corals and irratates them.

Watchman gobies aren't sifters. They will dig a bit though, but it's not a big deal for corals on the substrate if they are regularly blown off with a turkey baster or like instrument. Our Pistol shrimp does full scale excavation and we simply blow the sand off of the Acans and scolies. They are none the worse for wear.

If you get a bottom goby and a mid swimming blenny you should be good. The chromis like to school so it's better to have more than one....I have no luck with them in odd numbers or even numbers, so I might not be the best to give advice on them...

Flame angels are awesome aswell! my brother has one in his 55G. Looks great! I love your fish selection as well!!! Good luck!!!

Yeah, i think i will skip out on the pseudochromis then. Only because im looking for a more, peaceful but active community. Not something thats agressive and i have to deal with. Im going to try the starry blenny and the watchman goby. However, can anyone tell me what fish really burrows in the sand? Im really looking for a cool fish that lives in the sand or at least plays with it alot.

Get a pistol shrimp. They dig LOTS and should / may pair with the watchman.

Oh yeah, the pistol shrimp is definitely on my list, i just havent got to deciding the inverts i want yet lol. But the pistol shrimp and peppermint shrimp are first on my list. I would like to get a cleaner shrimp but they are expensive. Would like to wait a little bit and see how the cheaper things fair off in my tank. :)

A really cool fish that burrows is the scooter blenny! not sure if your tank is big enough yours might be minnium. But they make a GREAT addition.

I love the scooter blenny, but they really need to be stocked like a mandarin would (very well established tank) IMO.

What about the purple sea slug thing? Since my tank is going to be non-aggressive couldnt i house one of those?

I'd avoid them. I'm not very well read, but I believe they will nuke your tank if/when they die.

Back
Top Bottom