fish only saltwater tank 40l

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adam petty said:
Im very new to this and need some helpfull advice. Thanks :)

Well any would be good set up tank 3 weeks ago put coarse sand in it (not live) bought ready mixed salt water from lfs. Ive had everything running for 3 weeks . Was advised by lfs to put nutrafin cycle in there bio aqauruim supplement regular. Test result today are
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm
No water changes so far. Only topped uo evapourated water will filter water from my fridge, which i was told was fine .

adam petty said:
Well any would be good set up tank 3 weeks ago put coarse sand in it (not live) bought ready mixed salt water from lfs. Ive had everything running for 3 weeks . Was advised by lfs to put nutrafin cycle in there bio aqauruim supplement regular. Test result today are
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm
No water changes so far. Only topped uo evapourated water will filter water from my fridge, which i was told was fine .

Ps lfs toldme last week to kick off cycle i should put fish in there. So i did n they died within 3 days :-(

Yeah, don't put any fish in there yet- they'll die. Your tank is cycling. Is 2 the highest ammonia has ever been? You're in the middle of cycle. It'll probably be another couple weeks before you're ready for fish. And if you use distilled water, make sure you bring it up to the temp of tank before adding it into tank.

Thanks for the advice i did put fish in there to kick tbe cycle off but died in 3 days, so im not doing that again plus only bought test kit this weekend so only tested it fri and today and the results r all the same. Read abit on here and am i supposed to add ammonia to my tank or shoukd i just let it be? Also was told to bring my filters to the top of tank so the water pours in may quicken up process thanks :)

Yep, you'll need an ammonia source. You can throw in a piece of raw shrimp or fish, something like that and let it rot. You'll need ammonia to get up to 4ppm, then it'll drop an nitrites will rise and then they'll both drop to 0 and nitrates will be high. Then do a PWC to get nitrates down, and then you can add fish. Good luck. You're already part way there with ammonia at 2 ppm. You could also use ammonia in a bottle (but only the kind that doesn't bubble when you shake it) and dose the tank up to 4ppm. This route is a little faster cuz you don't have to wait for the food to rot and produce ammonia. But be aware that it takes VERY small amount to get to 4ppm.

No, they typically don't. Best thing to do is head to your local grocery & get a raw shrimp from the seafood counter & drop that in your tank. As it rots, it will produce the ammonia needed to feed your cycle. Pure ammonia can be a pain to find.... it cannot have any additives in it.
If you don't already, leave your lights completely off while cycling.

Ok thanks so if i do that drop it just leave it in there n never touch it or take it out? Im not dull honest lol just new to this thanks for advice :)

Drop it in & leave it be until your cycle is complete, then take out what ever is remaining. Helps to put it in a mesh bag if can you get one.... cuts down on the mess. You'll probably have some pretty high nitrates at this point, so you'll want to do a significant water change to get those down, then begin adding your livestock.

Thank u so much for advice will do this tomorrow . So when cycle is complete i need to change 90% of the water? Also what would u advise to stock a 40 liter wall hung aqaruim fish n invert ta

Yeah, at 40l, I'd pretty much do a complete water change since you're not dealing with that much. As far as fish, you're going to be pretty limited with that small of a system.... here's a link to LiveAquaria's nano fish section, which will give you someplace to start in fish selection.....
Nano Fish

Ok cool with a complete water change thanks for the link but how many fish r we tslking to put in? Also can i put shrimp n snails in there ? :)

Probably looking at one or two small fish, a cleaner shrimp or couple smaller sexy shrimp, and a couple nassarius snails for your sandbed & couple astrea or margarita snails for the rock/glass.

Ok but i got no live sand in there or no live rock does that matter ? Thanks u been so helpfull :)

The sand will become live over time. Rock is not required, but fish like to hide when they get scared and to sleep. If they have nothing to hide in/behind, they can get stressed and get sick. So if you don't like rock, add a decorative flower pot on its side or some plants or something for them to hide in. That item will then also grow BB and help get rid of the ammonia and nitrite.

Aww right cool got plenty of things like that got 2 plastic plants which look real got fake coral and a log which they can swim tho or hide in heres a pic

ForumRunner_20121028_220947.jpg

What are you using for filtration? And as far as the sand, it doesn't matter that it's not live, it will be eventually, and the nassarius snails help keep it clean & stirred.

Back
Top Bottom