Fist Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it safe to buy them online? Or would it be best to buy your fish in store??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For a fish like a butterfly buy it in person.

Its always better to buy in person, but not always possible.

Okay thanks. I may have to look around the area. There is only one that I know of that sells SW fish near me. I may have to travel a bit further into a bigger city. How long would
It be okay in a bag for? Like if I bought it some place that is like an hour and a half away from home, would that be too long in a bag for them?

Or maybe the one near me can make special orders

It will be fine over an hour and a half car ride. Fish are commonly shipped overnight after all. Most good LFS will order fish just for you though.

Okay great. I shouldn't have to travel much further then that for some fish. Also I am
Interested in anemones.. How many of those would be able to have in a tank that size? Those should go in before any fish tho right? And the same with corals??

Okay great. I shouldn't have to travel much further then that for some fish. Also I am
Interested in anemones.. How many of those would be able to have in a tank that size? Those should go in before any fish tho right? And the same with corals??

Actually, it's the other way around. It's best to allow your tank to sit with fish in it before adding corals and it's recommended not to add an anemone for at least 6 months.

What light fixture do you have?

Oh okay. Good to know. Only have the light that came with it right now and it sits along the whole top with two long bulbs. It's set up as a FW right now. Soon to be emptied. I have an Oscar, he is getting too big tho. He is about 7" and two massive plecos who need to go aw well. Will I need a differnt light? Or just different bulbs??

And there is a glass lid as well

So I should just start with live rock, live sand and fish? And then add the rest after a while

Oh okay. Good to know. Only have the light that came with it right now and it sits along the whole top with two long bulbs. It's set up as a FW right now. Soon to be emptied. I have an Oscar, he is getting too big tho. He is about 7" and two massive plecos who need to go aw well. Will I need a differnt light? Or just different bulbs??

You will probably need to buy a different fixture. A dual t5ho fixture can support soft corals but in no way will it be able to support an anemone or sps such as acropora. The bulbs will be labeled with their type so you can figure out what you're working with.

So I should just start with live rock, live sand and fish? And then add the rest after a while

yep

Start with LS and LR. You will still need to cycle the tank as with FW. Your first fish can go in after the cycle completes. Don't add large groups of fish together. It's equally important as with FW, that QT is your best friend. Many fail for simply trying to skip this most important step. I've found it best to add the least aggressive fish first. If not, it will make for a hectic tank. Give fish time to settle in before adding to the community from your QT tank. QT is very important !!! Research the fish you want IN LENGTH. For both tank needs and compatibility. I feel like there may be something important that I'm forgetting but it will come to me.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

You will probably need to buy a different fixture. A dual t5ho fixture can support soft corals but in no way will it be able to support an anemone or sps such as acropora. The bulbs will be labeled with their type so you can figure out what you're working with.

yep

So I would never be able to have an anemone??? ????

Start with LS and LR. You will still need to cycle the tank as with FW. Your first fish can go in after the cycle completes. Don't add large groups of fish together. It's equally important as with FW, that QT is your best friend. Many fail for simply trying to skip this most important step. I've found it best to add the least aggressive fish first. If not, it will make for a hectic tank. Give fish time to settle in before adding to the community from your QT tank. QT is very important !!! Research the fish you want IN LENGTH. For both tank needs and compatibility. I feel like there may be something important that I'm forgetting but it will come to me.

Wow thanks for all of that information!! I have been researching the fish for a couple days now.

Wow thanks for all of that information!! I have been researching the fish for a couple days now.

Glad I could help ?. The other important thing I was thinking was QT. I can't stress that enough. A lot of SW fish are wild caught and many (not every) times they don't make it out of QT. It's just what happens. Follow this link and it backs up what I said about adding least aggressive fish first, as well as points out things I didn't mention. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltwater-fish-compatibility-guides/

Here is another chart you may have seen already also. http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

And another in regards to parameters. http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=89

Their marine fish guide is just that. It's not the most accurate, but rather a "guide" to get a general idea of what's what. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

When you click on a particular fish, the right side of the page has options to help. Tank size, care level, etc. I chose goby as an example because they will fit in anything starting with 10g. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1926

I don't recall if it's been mentioned yet, but I would highly recommend to bounce things off of the folks around here before trusting your LFS. We're not gonna sell you anything to compensate for a loss. ?? Hope it helps and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom