Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Light Sufficient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

Would the LED's on the 12 gallon Fluval Edge tank be suffcient for coral (easy coral like mushrooms)? There are (39) 7600K white LED's, and (3) blue LED's.

Would I need to get something additional or would this work?

thanks,
Jeff

Hi, no not really, I have 3 fluval edges. 2 x 6G and 1x 12G. Over the last two years I've tried every modification going. The latest upgrade on my 12G is a DIY Retrofit LED kit. 12x3w CREE high powered LEDs. 6xblue 6xwhite with separate dimmers. The power is amazing. This cost me about £220.
There is a seller on EBay who has actually produced an LED upgrade specifically for the fluval edge, it looks great. He is selling them at £189 which is pretty good value.
With my lights, I can grow sps.
I'll have to post pictures when I can

Thanks James!!! Please do post pics. I would LOVE to see them!!

Any experience with the Ecopico LED strips? It seems that they would fit perfectly in the Edge hood as they're 6" long.

Packohotdogs said:
Thanks James!!! Please do post pics. I would LOVE to see them!!

Any experience with the Ecopico LED strips? It seems that they would fit perfectly in the Edge hood as they're 6" long.

Yes! Even though I'm from the UK! I had 3 ecopico strips sent over from the states. This was about 9 months ago. They fit nicely under the hood, but again not powerful enough for most LPS. You can get away with some softies and zoas, but it depends on the coral. Some reefers have purchased 6 ecopico strips.
I wasn't happy with them so I use them on my freshwater, and they look amazing.

My 12G tank has had so many changes, recently I did a big clean out. I went on holiday, and lost a lot of coral. One fish died, which kinda wiped out my tank. I invested in an expensive auto feeder, it works really well, but my fish still died, I've had him from day one :(

I've removed a lot of rock which I'm killing off all the bad stuff and re curing in another tank I have.

image-3758125660.jpg

Here is my tank today with the lights at about 20%. The tank looks a bit bare as I've lost a lot . I had the live rock built up the back, I'll post pics when I can.

I'll take some pics of my lighting set ups later too.

Thanks
James

image-1353889112.jpg
The modded hood, with cooking fan

image-8083448.jpg
100% blue

image-3860283109.jpg
100% blue and white

Attachments

• image-3280874733.jpg
    image-3280874733.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 318
Jamesinho said:
The modded hood, with cooking fan

100% blue

100% blue and white

Beautiful tank James!!!!! It is amazing!!!

I have started adding live rock, but had to get smaller pieces due to the opening size.

Thank you so much for the info! I'm am going to get one of the eBay hoods for sure

That was a cooling fan, not cooking! :)

I have added more coral today.
Xenia and a torch coral.

image-4179118872.jpg

Xenia

image-1476147523.jpg

Torch

I really hope the torch survives. Before my new light setup, the last one just died. It's still closed up in the photo, I'll update later :)

Back
Top Bottom