Fluval Edge 12g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShirazD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Or after what's research and waiting for a good deal I finally got my hands on a setup cycled fluval Edge saltwater set up. The whole set up was $120 and came with a 12g Fluval Edge tank with a 106 canister filter thermometer power head airstone with pump, live rock not sure how much though, live sand about an inch , not sure if either is live or not Idk how to tell, two clown fish, NOt sure what kind, two blue spotted damsel and a yellow tailed damsel which is bullied by one of the bigger blue spotted damsels. It's been a week since I got it and I added two turbo snails which have been in the same spot since they were dropped in the tank on the live rock, my cleaner shrimp has been hiding.
I live in Hawaii oahu to be exact and I get my water from the aquarium which they get straight from the ocean and then filter it. I just did a 50% water change when I got the tank.
The tank has been running great except the air stone creates A Lot of bubbles and I tried to hide it by putting it behind the biggest live rock but it didn't really work... Do I really need the air stone? Also I havent been running my power head because one it came broken, the power head is broken from the stem that connects it to the suction cup if that makes sense... Any ideas how to fix it? And second when I turn it on the air bubbles go all over the place it's crazy and really ugly, and second the fish don't swim and really struggle they mainly hide behind the live rock so I leave it off. Any suggestions of what to do?
I also want to replace the three damsels with a royal gamma and a yellow watchmen, any advice or tips you have for this tank? I also want to upgrade the light cause cause it sucks really bad!

Attachments

• 20130623_220139.jpg
    20130623_220139.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20130623_220132.jpg
    20130623_220132.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 20130623_220213.jpg
    20130623_220213.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20130623_220409.jpg
    20130623_220409.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 112
I would definitely remove the air stone and either fix or replace the powerhead (try and get a magnet one, suction cups are rubbish) there are way too many fish in that tank, even the two clowns are pushing it. Damsels are mean anyway, I would get rid of all of them.

I fixed the powerhead, and are you sure about the air stone? I'm gonna get rid of the damsels but I'll probably get new fish. My clown fish are picking up sand and spitting it out and I just put my hand in the tank to move around some of the live rock and one of them bit me! Thee clowns are now chasing around the yellow tailed damsel.. I fill really bad for the guy.

ForumRunner_20130624_161947.jpg

ForumRunner_20130624_162243.jpg

Bank of my tank and anyone know what kind of clown this is? Sorry for the blurry pic! And thank you for your advice!

Lighting options??

Need some ideas for the lighting for my tank! I want hopefully grow coral in my tank!
I've looked at a lot of options and it all seems pretty pricey...
here are some of them
Panorama Pro LED Module
Lights LED - LED High Power Clamp On Light - 72W LED CLAMP ON LAMP LIGHT FOR MARINE AQUARIUM - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - 72W LED CLAMP ON LAMP LIGHT FOR MARINE AQUARIUM
Lights LED - High Power Aquarium LED Lights - Double ELEMENT 30cm 18W - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - Double ELEMENT 30cm LED Aquarium Light Fixture - Reef Capable 6x3W
Lights LED - High Power Aquarium LED Lights - Double ELEMENT 45cm 30W - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - Double ELEMENT 45cm LED Aquarium Light Fixture - Reef Capable 6x3W

please give me some feed back as to what you think would be good!
*Update took out the damsels and donated them to the pet store. How soon do you think I can get new fish for my tank?
Thank you in adnvance! :)

I would never use an air stone in a salt water tank. As for your fish stock, check out live aquaria for recommended tank sizes before making any purchases. Note the minimum size for a single clown is 20g... I think it's an ocellaris clownfish that you have.

I would never use an air stone in a salt water tank. As for your fish stock, check out live aquaria for recommended tank sizes before making any purchases. Note the minimum size for a single clown is 20g... I think it's an ocellaris clownfish that you have.

Can I ask why cause everyone is giving me mixed opinions on it. Also I watched a lot of videos and there's a lot of fluval edges with more fish then I have that seems like theyre doing pretty well. My cleaner shrimp is still in hiding in the back,any idea why?

Tank size requirements is an extremely heated debate. I personally feel that you can stock a tank (within reason) until your parameters start showing stress. ALOT of people will disagree but this is whats working for me. Also you have to remember that your tanks stability is dependant on your beneficial bacteria ability to break down the waste. That being said, your BB needs time to adjust to a higher stress level. I would only put one fish in at a time and wait 2-3 weeks between fish.

Following...

Shrimp is likely hiding due to all the aggression. Aggression likely due to being over stocked/ mis-stocked.

My experiences are for FW, but I think from my learning about SW in consideration of keeping SW, the comments are correct. Once you fix it and select your new appropriate stock, your shrimp will be happy again!

I love the 12G Edge!

Back
Top Bottom