Fluval edge mantis tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My brother left for college so I cleaned out his fluval edge (6gal) that was in his room. I'm planning on putting a mantis shrimp in (neogonodactylus breedini) maxes out at about 2.5 inches. I'm gonna use a zoomed 501 filter and about 5lbs of LR. So my main question is, what should I use as filter media? And how often should I perform a WC if I feed clams every other day?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mantis shrimp get huge zebra mantis shrimp get like 15 inches long peacocks also get very big

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry didn't read the hole post just seen mantis shrimp and 6 gallon aquarium. I was thinking it would be a peacock mantis

Some people refer to it as a carribean rock mantis

Attachments

• 1417564913609.jpg
    1417564913609.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 116
This is the tank if anyone was curious. It's been cycling for a few days.

Attachments

• 1417565311377.jpg
    1417565311377.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 114
I don't know much about canister filters. I would do some macro algae and some plants in the display

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these shrimp have extremely powerful punches that they use to knock out their prey/Crack their shell? That break glass aquariums?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these shrimp have extremely powerful punches that they use to knock out their prey/Crack their shell? That break glass aquariums?

true, im not sure what the edge is made of better check that.

true, im not sure what the edge is made of better check that.
Almost positive it's glass, the ones I've seen. Believe you need a stronger aquarium for that, or else you may wake up with water all over your floor and a dead mantis shrimp.

Almost positive it's glass, the ones I've seen. Believe you need a stronger aquarium for that, or else you may wake up with water all over your floor and a dead mantis shrimp.

just googled it, yes he can break glass. OP check before you throw one in there, would suck for it to break out.

It's extremely uncommon for them to break glass... Its more of a myth

It's extremely uncommon for them to break glass... Its more of a myth

Yeah, but if he gets angry or mistakes a reflection for food...... hulk smash lol

Just keep your hands off the glass don't aggravate it and it will be fine... I've seen the peacocks break jars to get a crab but if it doesn't feel threatened and you don't try to get it to go after your finger threw the glass it shouldn't hit it. Does that kind even punch? Or does it have spears?

But I'll definitely put a water alarm next to the tank. But from what I've hear the strike alone is pretty loud. A couple of people online couldn't sleep because the tank was in their bedroom lol

Back
Top Bottom