fluval spectrum light algae problem! Help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriis Wookey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I'm new to this forum, I have recently bought a fluval spectrum light 24inch and my alage is growing out of control, I clean, scrub and have cut down the lighting to 6 hours a day and NOTHING is working, as you can see I even have put a phosphate remover (max clear fluval) in the tank as well as having it in the filter. Help anyone?

Attachments

• image-4558951.jpg
    image-4558951.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 114
How often and how much water changes do you normally do and how much and often do you feed? Usually this is caused by excess nitrates etc in tank so way to cure it is to find the source of the nitrate

Twice a day fed from a syringe so I make sure the two clown fish eat all what is given to them, and I do a 10% water change once a week, but have started doing between 15% & 20% since the algae, I also buy my water from a garden centre which I have been since I started my tank, the algae only kicked up when I got the spectrum light

Is the water from the garden center rodi or just tap/filtered ? If not rodi water then it is probably the source of your issues. What are your current water parameters?

From a garden centre, I buy RO and Salt Water
And I had my water tested yesterday and everything is perfect, that's why I'm so confused

Just RO or RODI? Big difference in this hobby. And is the premixed saltwater made with RODI water? And is it made with salt for aquariums?

If you are battling algae then your parameters aren't perfect. What are the numbers?

Agreed algae needs nutrients for food so must be some in there

image-3350285495.jpg

A bit better but my parameter are still mad! I have a 300 compact skimmer on it and nothing is working

Temp 27
Ph 8.1
Ca2+ 460
NH3 0.25ppm
No2 0
No3 0.25
KH 90
Phosphate 0.30
Salinity 1.024

Alage still is going a bit mad, how can i defeat it?

Phosphates are very high and contribute to the issue .
Feeding twice a day is the source to the high nutrients .
Phos is more likely higher knowing its absorbed into the rocks and can go forever undetected .
Please don't quote me on this but green algae is excessive or incorrect lighting ?
Did you say with your test you detected ammonia and nitrates ?
Ammonia above 0ppm is a indication of too much decaying and not being processed or converted into nitrates

Lowering phosphates will help, they are pretty high. Ammonia should also be 0 and what type of flow do you have in the tank? That could be contributing as well

It's fine :) so can you help?

Test your water
To start off I would do a pretty heavy water change .
No more then 50%
And pending your test results after 24hrs you might need to repeat .
Finding the source for the excessive nutrients that are causing the algae bloom is the ultimate goal .
We need more information about your system .
It is possible the RO water you re buying is contaminated .
Some places neglect to change their filter making the water high in tds

Back
Top Bottom