FO SW setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potterlu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

So, I'm sitting here thinking to myself: self, why is it that saltwater tanks intimidate you so? Is it the fear of screwing something up horrendously? Is it the lack of knowledge?

Nope, it's because it never seems simple enough to try. It seems like there are way too many parameters and things for me to mess up. However, every time I look around, I think, "Wow, I really like the pretty saltwater fish."

This leads me to my question: is it possible to do a straight fish-only saltwater setup? In other words, keep things simple enough in that the only added complexity beyond a straight-up freshwater tank is measuring specific gravity? I would love to give the saltwater thing a try, and perchance move on to a FOWLR at some point in time, but would sort of like to baby-step into it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Luke

I'd say go for it !! But even with FO you'd still have to watch parameters other than specific gravity. IMO a FOWLR would be easier to maintain because of the added benefit of biological filtration from the rock.

I agree with emorrison, a fowlr would be a better starting point. There is a ton of info on the site do some reading before you jump in.
What kind of $$$ do you want to spend? This is not a cheap hobby and you want to do things right from the start and cutting corners is not the way to go.

I used to say I was going to start cheap and straight up also but addiction is a horrible thing. 8O

Back
Top Bottom