fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad everything is going well fort! Sorry about the loss of your Hammer, I know that it can be extremely frustrating losing tank inhabitants. Today at my LFS I saw either a Hammer or Frogspawn that seemed to have a mixture of the purple/green tips, it looked really cool.

Your tank is looking awesome by the way, nice work!

Hmm, that is a hard one. Like you mentioned above, LiveAquaria has them listed as 125g minimum, but I am not entirely sure why that is. From what I have seen, they don't seem to dash about tanks like a Yellow Tang would.

Well some they list as 125, most they list as 75. But other places list almost all of them as 55. I suppose bigger is always better and safer... but I also know several experienced folks here recommended an anthias for my tank.

19738-albums9044-picture36396.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture36397.jpg
19738-albums9044-picture36395.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture36394.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture36393.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture36392.jpg

I think the anthias minimum depends on the actual one you want. My squarebacks are pretty large, at least as big as my tangs and the two anthias actually use the whole 6 foot tank. Especially the male. :)

Lyretails may be ok in your tank though. :)

Don't listen to me but what I have seen is that you should keep them in schools and that's why they say 125. When it is just 1 fish a smaller tank is ok. I realy want one so please tell me if I am wrong.

Yeah leave the hammer in there. You'd be surprised what comes back from the brink of death. I've had a frogspawn (that suffered a BTA sting) be closed for almost a month and then come back. Same thing happened to 5 heads of my duncan and he closed up and didn't open up for 4 days.

Yep, I also think it was smart of you to leave your Hammer coral in there, I probably would have done the same thing.

Once one of my tanks got up to 89 degrees, my Xenia looked absolutely terrible (and most of it came off), but once I got the temperature back in check, there was still a little head of Xenia that was alive. It has now spread. :)

Added a frag of favia and did a bit of moving around with some of the corals. Still no pics of the royal gramma though it is coming out a bit more... but still hides as soon as I approach the tank.

Here is the favia:
19738-albums9044-picture36515.jpg

And here is my royal gramma hiding under a rock :). You can see the frogspawn is definitely recovering and looking better than it did a week or 2 ago... and my new tiny hammer to the right of it:
19738-albums9044-picture36517.jpg

And for good measure, an FTS. My coraline growth has receded almost completely since turning the lights down... but the diatoms are almost gone too...:
19738-albums9044-picture36516.jpg

Great pics and tank but just out of curiosity, are you going to add more rocks on the left or are you going to keep the scape.

Maybe at some point I might add more rock but at this point I am pretty satisfied with it.

Ok, some new additions tonight... some pulsing xenia that is a nice purple color, an acan, some kind of SPS that looks like a birds nest with green polyps (my first SPS!), and an anthias.

Some pics (need to get a macro lens yet...):

19738-albums9044-picture36575.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture36576.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture36577.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture36578.jpg

Back
Top Bottom