fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's so clean! Is a 5 gallon fuge area going to be beneficial? I had heard before, but never confirmed, that unless you have a "Large regfuge area", then it is pointless. But as of typing this, I am now seeming to recall maybe it was the benefit of a small refuge vs. adding a skimmer... hmmm.

Anyway, I'd love to add a satellite refuge in the future, but wasn't sure it would be worth it. Any comment, or idea?

It's so clean! Is a 5 gallon fuge area going to be beneficial? I had heard before, but never confirmed, that unless you have a "Large regfuge area", then it is pointless. But as of typing this, I am now seeming to recall maybe it was the benefit of a small refuge vs. adding a skimmer... hmmm.

Anyway, I'd love to add a satellite refuge in the future, but wasn't sure it would be worth it. Any comment, or idea?

Typically a 10% of the main display is beneficial. So he is in good shape with a 5g fuge. I prefer a larger fuge but having at least 10% of the display as a fuge is good.

My base rock is out for delivery today. I hope to be filling this tank tonight!

I just went to set up my pH meter, and realized the probe didn't survive the move. Probably just as well - those things don't last forever anyway. Will have to order a new one.

Rock is here. I think I need more. I am seriously considering just buying 5-10 pounds of cured rock from my LFS. Their Rock looks wonderful. Just not sure if it is worth the risk of introducing something bad to the tank. I am gun shy about it.

Please critique the current rock work if you have an opinion on it.

Attachments

• image-4134264186.jpg
    image-4134264186.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 124
Getting a little better....

Attachments

• image-2500611548.jpg
    image-2500611548.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 111
Personally, I don't think you want anymore. Once you play around with what you've got, you'll find something that just hits you. IMO, especially with SPS, less is more. Granted, I don't have much experience with reefs yet, but I know that I have seen some stunning tanks that had very little rock. At first, I wanted to just cram mine full because people always say the more the better... now I'm finding myself wanting less and less.

No top needed unless you have some jumpers but I run an open top on my 125. When I did mine I put the sand in and then put the rock in and then added the water. This is a classic build thread. I really like the progress.

Do I need to wait for sand to add water?

You can go either way...you will end up with cloudy water for a day or two either way.

I'm filling my tank making SW in the tank and then putting the sand in... After the water clears I will put the rock in.

I'd break up a few pieces. Pieces the size of a hand or a little bigger are good. It looks like a little because they are all tightly packed next to each other. Remember youll want alot of caves and those take up space too.

Cool. Thanks guys. I put one of my 12 gallon RO tanks in. It is going to take awhile to fill. I suppose I will continue to fill it. I hope the sand comes in this afternoon.

I am happy with the rock work for now.

Attachments

• image-4164791308.jpg
    image-4164791308.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 128
  • image-1534441787.jpg
    image-1534441787.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image-324293623.jpg
    image-324293623.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 127
Ibrahim said:
I'd break up a few pieces. Pieces the size of a hand or a little bigger are good. It looks like a little because they are all tightly packed next to each other. Remember youll want alot of caves and those take up space too.

Thanks Ibrahim. I am going to pick up some fist size pieces of cured rock to finish off the scape and seed the rest. I think 5-10 more pounds (maybe 3-4 fist sized pieces) will complete it nicely.

So, do you guys use the little sticky clips to attach your vortech wires to the tank? I don't really want to put that sticky stuff on my tank glass and I also like the idea of having the ability to move my power heads without having to pull those clips off. Am I living dangerously by not affixing them? I guess the danger is if they somehow become detached, it could bang against the glass or something?

Back
Top Bottom