fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when I say wide open, I am talking I have the water level in the skimmer as far down as I can get it. So it sounds like I may need to put some egg crate under it or something. It is in 10" of water, and 10" is the max depth, so this would make sense I suppose.

Thanks Honda!

O ok I gotcha yea I think you need to raise it up then. Eggcrate and sip ties will make a decent platform.

After settling in my 125g skimmer produces a cup of nasty thick skimmate every two days. My 90g only gets a cup every 3-4 days.

I would let the skimmer continue to break in before moving it around. I did that at first with the little stand my sump came with and I was never happy until I just left it alone in one place for a few days. LOL

Updated shots showing new plumbing and full tank!

Attachments

• image-1103585673.jpg
    image-1103585673.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 121
  • image-4142297684.jpg
    image-4142297684.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 118
Both of my filter socks are above the tank. They're starting to get clogged, so I'm going to have to clean them... but nothing bad so far. I can see how lack of maintenance could cause some spillage outside the sump depending on how they're positioned.

My skimmer let out microbubbles like crazy for the first few weeks... now there are very few.... and those are caught by the bubble trap. Your chaeto and rubble will catch a lot too.

Thanks Jon, good to know.

Let's talk about stocking:

I know I want a clown fish (well my wife wants a clown fish; it was a a stipulation of building this monstrosity).

What else are my options in a 57 with no top?

I want lots of color, and the fish need to be reef safe. Beyond that, I am open to suggestions.

fort384 said:
Thanks Jon, good to know.

Let's talk about stocking:

I know I want a clown fish (well my wife wants a clown fish; it was a a stipulation of building this monstrosity).

What else are my options in a 57 with no top?

I want lots of color, and the fish need to be reef safe. Beyond that, I am open to suggestions.

Reef chromis, engineer goby, Midas Blenny, cardinals, firefish, dartfish, watchman goby, and anthias. Those are just a few.

Reef chromis, engineer goby, Midas Blenny, cardinals, firefish, dartfish, watchman goby, and anthias. Those are just a few.

I would stay away from the Firefish, dartfish and the engineer gobies... Firefish and Dartfish are jumpers and engineer gobies will tunnel under your rock and in the sand..

The others are good suggestions.

Ok, so I love the Chromis and the anthias. What would appropriate stocking even be for a 57?

2 clowns, 2 chromis, 2 anthias?

fort384 said:
Ok, so I love the Chromis and the anthias. What would appropriate stocking even be for a 57?

2 clowns, 2 chromis, 2 anthias?

I'd say you could add another 2-3 fish.

fort384 said:
2 clowns, 3 chromis, 2 anthias, 1 midas blenny?

Sounds goods. I think you'll love them. Cool clowns are True perculas, onyx clowns black and white ocellaris clowns and black ice clowns. Black ice being my favorite lol

List looks good, just missing a goby. :) A nice addition to the lower half of the tank. The anthias and chromis will be mid tank fish and very active, same with the midas blenny.

I prefer the bicolor dottyback to the royal gramma (note, there is an R in the name).

Good list for that tank. Is the sand in yet?

Not yet. It shipped this morning via priority mail so I ought to get it Wednesday.

I picked up a float gauge to install in my reservoir tank so I dont have to look in the little hole to know when I am close to full. Will install that tonight. Also picked up some small diameter PVC so I can raise the output of my ATO aquadoser above the level of the reservoir tank to prevent any chance of siphoning.

I also picked up a small work light and some 6500k CFLs to put over the fuge. Cheaper than replacing the bulb in my PC fixture (they wanted $17 for shipping PLUS $25 for the bulb!).

Tomorrow after work I plan on heading down to my LFS and picking up a few small pieces of cured live rock to seed the rest and speed the cycle. I also need to find more rubble to put in my fuge. Very little came with my base rock shipment a he wrapped each piece in bubble wrap before shipping...

Personally I'd avoid the rubble in the fuge - I always place my rubble in the sump portion. Other wise, you're provide a spot for accumulation of dead macro algae which will break down, possibly causing some nutrient issues. For the fuge, I'd either go straight sand or BB.

Back
Top Bottom