Frag Tank start.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was talking to a friend who works at my lfs. We decided to build a frag tank and but he doesn't have a lot experiance with frag tanks and I've never done one so this is what I got so far.

30x24x10 tank and stand. This tank is not drilled it is about 30gal and has a rear built in over flow and frag racks that go from the bottom of the tank up.

Tunze skimmer rated at 35 gal.

I know it might sound over kill but I want to go with 1 hydra 52. I'd like some criticism on the lighting because I know t5 have faster grown rate but I'm not trying to break the bank on the electric bill. If you have any suggestions on lighting that's not going to leave nothing but a stick of gum in my wallet let me know what works.

What return pump would you recommend for power efficiency and quality I was thinking siccie possibly but open to suggestions.

What else do I need?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't put any money into bulbs growing faster than LEDs. I think the hydra is a great unit and you will get great results from it.
Are you planning any fish in the tank? If so you might want a skimmer. Some use fish that will eat things like flatworms in their frag tanks for new additions.

I didn't plan on fish but I was going to do a skimmer the tunze. I think a 6 line might be a good fish for me then.

I'm going to slowly get everything together I bought the tank today rimless 36 I'm going to use the back section as my over flow with 3 chambers a media chamber a skimmer chamber and a return section.

Does that sound sufficiant?

It sounds fine. If you weren't going to have any fish and you weren't going to be feeding the corals then you wouldn't have needed a skimmer, simple water changes would have done the trick.

Yeah I am likely going to feed the corals. My plan is to collect some high end frags eventually. Sps and lps. I'm drawing my overflow/return I'll post a photo of my idea. I want to keep a wrasse I think that was a good idea to help with pests. This is going to be a slow build I paid for the tank I'm just drawing up how I want my filtration set up. I won get the stand for awhile then I need my light skimmer ect. I'm just going to have fun and try not to break the bank, just take this build slow and easy I don't care if it takes months or years lol.

Im cslling it...
Kindergarten filtration drawing.

It will consist of 4, 9in chambers.

Chamber # 1. will be overflow with carbon on top of a song or two.

Chamber # 2. The flow will enter from the bottom. I will use a tunze doc 9004. The tunze skim from the top of the water line.

Chamber # 3. Extra chamber for more carbon or purigen can't spell it Ect. Essentially a spare chamber.

Chamber # 4. This will house rtn pump, heaters, ato switch and and other probes ect.

Attachments

• 1426631697088.jpg
    1426631697088.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 87
Dont put heaters probes etc. in the return chamber the water level will vary unless you run an ATO.

I saw somewhere that a sump is required for sps? To increase total water volume?

A sump is by not a necessity for sps. It can be helpful for not only a place to put your equipment but provide a safe place to dose to keep parameters in line if necessary...but shouldn't be for a frag tank. The more stable you keep it for sps the better off you will be.

I think I can dose in my over flow it should be diluted enough before it moves through the rest of the filtration. The guy on brs was saying increased water volume will help with salinity issues that happen when using 2 part. I don't understand how you would get a salinity issue. I guess your salinity would drop over time right? I don't think it will affect me much I'm kinda in the habit of weekly w/c's on my tank now.

I don't know they would need to be a lot bigger than 10% a week wouldn't they?

Frag tanks are the most simple set up you can imagine. Use whatever salt you want, it doesn't even have to be a 'reef grade'. Use regular IO, doesn't really matter. In the amounts we are talking, there will not be enough of the elements being used up by the frags to overwhelm the water changes, which is why in larger systems some people have to end up dosing as water changes won't keep up with it.

Frag tanks are the most simple set up you can imagine. Use whatever salt you want, it doesn't even have to be a 'reef grade'. Use regular IO, doesn't really matter. In the amounts we are talking, there will not be enough of the elements being used up by the frags to overwhelm the water changes, which is why in larger systems some people have to end up dosing as water changes won't keep up with it.

To add to sniper, if this is a frag tank being made for the purpose of a frag tank (basically an area to hold frags until another party purchases them) they shouldnt truly be in the tank for all that long.

To add to sniper, if this is a frag tank being made for the purpose of a frag tank (basically an area to hold frags until another party purchases them) they shouldnt truly be in the tank for all that long.

Which is why most 'frag tanks' are really grow out tanks as most of us aren't doing such things.

I was planning to try and allow the corals to grow and multiply not just be in and out. I'd like to do some sps and lps. I was planing on getting some rare stuff and allowing it to multiply then frag it and sell or trade it. In that case do I just need to make a reef tank basically instead of a frag tank?

Back
Top Bottom