Fresh to Salt Water Conversion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xeonman13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,
I have a few questions.........
I converted my 30 gallon fresh water to saltwater. I purchased a "hang on the back" filter (cascade 300[up to 100g]) and live sand. Other than that some coral (not live) and salt.

I have had my tank running for a few weeks and added some damsels. All looks okay but Im very confused.

I would like to add a bubble anemony, a clown, yellow and regal tangs. And thats it.
But before I do this should I have more filtration? maybe a protein skimmer? a trickle filter? Live rock?

What do you recommend?

I just want a stable aquarium where i can enjoy a few fish but dont want it to get extraordinarely expensive!

i also want some tangs, but i was told that my 40 gallon tank was not enough for even one tang. before getting a tang, make sure that you tank will be large enough for them.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Any chance you can take those damsels back, until the cycle is complete?

I would like to add a bubble anemony

Those guys need a mature tank, some say 6-12 months before adding one. They are sensitive to poor water conditions and if stressed, can die and fould up a tank.

Steve is right, tangs need a bigger tank for swimming room.

But before I do this should I have more filtration?

Biofiltration can be accompolished by adding 1.5-2LBs of LR per gallon.

If you are going FOWLR, you can get away without the skimmer.
You'll need one or two phs for water movement, test kit, heater, thermometer, refractometer or hydrometer, to test salinity. The refracto is a better tool.
You might think about setting up a QT, in the near future.

Thanks for the replies! Its a shame about the tangs! Even a small Regal Tang???????

I just got back from the pet store and picked up 15lbs of Live rock. Lets see how this goes.

I will pickup a power head tonight and see if I can take the Damsels back.

What else can I do during this cycle period. How long should I wait before I introduce the "nicer" fish?
What kind of fish do you recommend??

You will need a test kit to find how far along you are on your cycle. Will the LFS test your water? If so, write down the numbers and post, so we can help. After you take the damsels back, throw some food in the tank to keep the cycle, or you could use a raw fresh cocktail shrimp, from the grocery store. I could be wrong, but since you have probably already started your cycle, you might be able to just use the fish food, someone correct me if I am wrong.

The Blue Tang, you are talking about needs a minimum of a 70G tank.
This is a great site:
http://www.liveaquaria.com

How long should I wait before I introduce the "nicer" fish?

After your cycle completes, you can add one or two fish (depending on which fish). Let us know what you would like to add and folks with experience can help.

Well I bought a test kit so i can do this tonight and post the numbers.
About the types of fish. Im open. I just like colorful fish and now im thinking of getting into more live rock/coral.

What do you recommend for lighting? Again i have a rectangle 30 gallon fish. Ill post a picture tonight.

Thanks alot for your help. This is a great site!

Back
Top Bottom