freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
on the lr subject one of the lr peaces we did buy was slime algae, is this bad algae?

Everything You Want to Know About Aquarium Live Rock

as stated in the how to safely add live rock part it seems like using our 55 for lr holding seems like a good idea.

why cant we put the 2 pieces that we bought from the lfs's in the 75 when i get it back together and give it some time with the canister filters then test for ammo/trites/trates and get our black and white clowns?

am i rushing it?

i have a hammer if the shapes are too odd. i busted up some larger peices of rock for our cichlids and i thought it made some nice workable chunks.

If you are starting from scratch with no livestock then sure you can put in whatever live rock you have or buy. The die off from the rock will only help your cycle.

It's after you have fish and other living things in the tank that you want to cure the live rock in a separate container or tank as the die off will most likely cause a parameter spike which can harm your fish.

I would add as much live rock as you can and then go from there. Base rock can be added at any time, with livestock or not. Theres nothing on that rock to have die off from so no spike. :)

I had to bust up a few rocks in my time as well, lol, kinda makes for some interesting shapes.

Nothing is saltwater happens quickly, just bear that in mind. You want to be compeltely cycled before adding ANY livestock, including crabs and snails. i t could take a week or weeks to cycle. I;ve found though that saltwater cycles faster than freshwater, I'm pretty sure because of the live rock. :)

you said 15% live rock to base. i think we have that. should i be concerned about the green slime algae?

anyone with experience with a wrought iron stand think that it can support 100lbs of rock 80lbs of sand and then water?

To answer a question the freshwater and saltwater benificial bacteria are different. The k750s will be ok for a while but I have 1050s and wish I had more flow.

Well,i don't have anything to really add,,but IMO i would actually buy the aquarium sealer made for aquariums ...Seems the stuff your looking at doesn't say aquarium safe...i never resealed a tank,but for the long term investment i'd use what is said to be safe...I will follow along ,as i like good build threads...good luck,and have fun

ha thanks. weve got lunch with sweetie pies grand parents then im buying the caulk. ill take pics. here is the last one i took last night with all the seals cut out and just the last bit of shavings to clean out. dont know if you can even tell in the pic but thats what it is.

img_1498147_0_d77dfe84e1a07d18d4ffa0412e4ca667.jpg

img_1498147_1_3741fbb786e2f068ae369e2055e2e2db.jpg

When I resealed mine I got out all I could with the razor blade and then went over with a fine grain sandpaper, and then followed up with straight vinager.

well i didnt use the sandpaper. but i lade down all the seals... i guess i wait until the silicone cures until i pull the masking tape? pictures on the way

as soon as i got home from the hardware store i started the final clean up and taping...

img_1498485_0_26d95edd074a963eccd90c6b4122850b.jpg

and
img_1498485_1_d3b856349d9a418c1c54149bf312d641.jpg

then i got ready and started caulking...
img_1498485_2_bbd2fd4b94f4bed6279b1f669ce36221.jpg

img_1498485_3_20cad354c5556d9aab8c1670817cef81.jpg

img_1498485_4_28b0f342f66d13fe9e2ca51228946ae4.jpg

img_1498485_5_c7bdbc04d6a028dead0381c127b74188.jpg

those last two pictures i was just going to seal the frame to the tank but i guess the silicone started setting up. on the other end of the tank and i didnt like how the tape was pulling away. so i stopped, ill wait until its cured more.

i really hope its all good. i would hate to have to redo it. i used both tubes of caulk. i think i had enough to go around the rim but the tape thing stopped me. 24 hours and ill do that. 24 hours after that ill fill it and see if i screwed the pooch or actually did a good job. 2 tubes seems like a lot to me. i think some of my edges maybe too heavy. fingers are crossed.

also i made my choice on the ge silicone1 because the label said food safe. it was the only silicone that said it was.

should i water check before i seal the frame on? or would that be too risky with the weight of the water not to have the top frame in place?

"It is a Vuetech, yes it has adjustable legs, t5 setup, about 3.5 years old, and the bulbs were recently replaced. I would like to get at least $175."

found this on craigslist. its a 6 bulb setup. never heard of them. is it wearth it? anyone heard of them?

round two with the resealing seemed to go better. still messy but i have alot better feeling about it as far as it actually being sealed. i will have to do some seriously careful clean up to get the slop out of it, but once fully cured i hope it will be just another step to take instead of disaster. i also siliconed the frame on since i wasnt using the tape and it wasnt in the way this time. after the silicone skinned over i masked it off and put a can of spray paint on. looks ok and it will look better once im done... hopefully.

on a side note should anyone choose to use tape i found out that you need to remove it as soon as you can rather than waiting for it to skin or fully cure.

Back
Top Bottom