Frist Water Change ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajg1460

Aquarium Advice Regular
29 gal tank with 43 lbs LR, 40 lbs LS, has been setup for 11 days. Readings are as follows PH 8.40, NH3 0 NO2 0, NO3 5, Salinity 30, SG 1.022. Is it time for my first water change or should I wait for the NO3 to drop to 0?

Where did you get the LR? Was it an online order or did it come from a tank at the LFS? The reason I ask is that 11 days isn't enough time for a cycle to have gotten a good start. You should just be starting to see some ammonia. If you used LR from the LFS, you may need to add some ammonia to the water to get the cycle started...a small dead shrimp should work fine for this. With fully cured rock, there will be little die off and a pretty good bacterial culture already established so you may see what we call a "mini cycle". I would also, and this is JMHO, bring the salinity up to 35ppt.

The LR and LS were both purchased from a lfs with a very good local reputation. I started the tank with 1 shrimp. It's almost completely dissolved. I didn't have my test kit until the 4th day and the max I've seen the NH3 is 1.0, NO2 high was .5 and the NO3 topped out at 20 ??

I'm curious, you mentioned bringing the salinity up to 35 ppt. Everything I've read says to keep it between 27 & 32. I'd be very interested in your reasons for the change. Also is it possible to change the salinity without affecting the SG? thanks

Went to the LFS today and was told that the LR was at least partially cured if not completely. They tell me that I may not see a normal cycle and suggest a water change of 25%. With my very limited knowledge and experience not sure what to do. I'm not in a hurry. Whats the smartest course of action?

Back
Top Bottom