From wild to domestic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addison

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went to the beach today and despite the legal technicalities I may have crossed I picked up a few periwinkles off the shore (I think that's what they're called- it's the "cone/oval" shaped shells that burry themselves into the sand) and a few live rocks-I think it's live rock but if not then its super eroded rock and has a lot of holes therefore providing more surface area so wouldn't it act like live rock? My question is is it ok to put these in the tank or any wild caught creatures?

Imo its really a case by case deal. Theres alot of fish/animals out there in the wild that dont know what domestic life is like. Putting a wild caught fish into a tank with tank raised fish might not end well for them. On top of that, you dont know what diseases or irritants that specimen could bring into your controlled environment. To me thats an area of vunerability that can be easily closed. Just like my fish tanks at home, nobody is allowed in them without my priorknowledge

Most salt water fish are wild caught. There aren't many at all that are captive bred.

Cardinals, gobies, all clownfish, blue hippo and yellow tangs, dottybacks, a few angels, seashorses. There are several species that are tank-bred and pretty much self sustaining now. Plus even those fish that are wild caught go theough an acclimation/ cleansing process in some distribution warehouse where they are caught, so usually any behavior adjustments or pollutants that might exist are smoothed out. Adding wild fish directly to your own tank is a gamble at best imo

Back
Top Bottom