<-----Frustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BOTLFED

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All tests were A-ok and the cycle process is over. I put a lionfish in first and then 2 sweetlip clownfish. 2 weeks later I introduced a small bluespot stingray. All levels were fine. 1 week has passed and now my nitrite and nitrate levels are off the chart again!!! My stingray is dead also. The food is not stayin in there too long before they eat it.

Only thing I did was remove the coarse coral bed and replace it with fine coral. Almost sand. The LFS guy said it would be no problem at all as long as I used the same water. Which I did. Im really pissed because all was fine before I changed the coral. How would nitrite and nitrate come back so strong after being 100% gone a week ago??? Maybe I can get some instructions from you guys before I lose the other fish I have. Thanks.

PS.. My protein skimmer has been acting wierd lately also meaning huge bubble instead of little misty bubbles. Any chance thats a cause?
EDIT: Its a 160 gal, FO

When you took out your coral bed you took the better part of your biological filter. The bacteria inhabits the glass, the substrate, the inside of your filters, and the live rock. Just about every surface in your tank is your bio filter. When you did the change not only did you take out most of the bio filter but you also probably cleaned the walls and the filter while you wer in there. Maybe not the filter media, but you know just a general cleaning while you had it broken down. This caused your tank to be overloaded just with what you already had in there. This is my best guess estimate based on my own experience.

How long exactly has your tank been setup for? And you know thos Sweetlips get rather big right? I've been told they need around 180 gal or more.

Tank has been setup for almost 11 weeks. And yes I did clean the glass. So the cycling part is starting over again??? Or it is like jumping in half way?? I hate LFS's!! They always tell me stuff that ends up screwing things up. Thats twice now!! I hope this doesnt last long. I just changed about 50% of the water and the fish seem to be alittle happier, ie, swimming around more.

IF your not showing ammonia then your in effect half way thru the cycle again. And yes I would be frustrated with the LFS also. They should know better that the nitrification bactera are suspended within the water but imbeded on the inside surfaces of the tank and filtration.

Keep a monitor on the nitrite levels and should they start to climb have another water change ready to do to help dilute the nitrite until your biofilter can catch back up.

Changing the substrate did not really help matters. However, being that this was a new tank, you added too many fish too soon. In a new tank livestock should be added very slowly to let the natual biofilter catch up with the increased bio-load. Agreed about the ray. These animals need very large tanks and are difficult to keep. Hopefully you will reconsider on another one.

Im not going to mess with the rays again, but LFS moron told me it was fine. Ive had 2 separate LFS tell me that a fish a week is ok?? Is this again wrong? How do these places even keep fish if they give such wrong info?? Just to get you back in there to spend more money?? Never again will I listen to them.

The sweetlip fish are only about 3inches long. They get pretty big though??

Thanks again, everything you guys have told me makes sense and when I do what you advise, it seems to work. I say we strike all LFS's!!! hahha

Ive had 2 separate LFS tell me that a fish a week is ok?? Is this again wrong?

Way too soon..I would wait 4 weeks between adding fish. It is a shame the lfs will tell people anything to make a sale. Stingrays are so beautiful, and lfs should not be allowed to carry them because unsuspecting customers will want them, without knowing the care requirements for them. Sorry to hear about your lfs.

Mike

there are many LFS that are wonderful. They have educated staff, nice livestock and care for the animals. However, there are also some out there that give bad advice and are only interested in making money. Be selective. If I get bad advice from a LFS I do not return. I would rather drive farther to a store that I trust. Most importantly, do not forget to run your questions and ideas by the fine folks here at AA!

Ive had 2 separate LFS tell me that a fish a week is ok??
The best way to space your fish is with a QT. If you QT all new fish before addibg to your main setup your timing should work out fine. I did not QT my 1st fish and lost both. Now I QT for 4 weeks. Once that is over and add them to the main I can start a new QT with new fish for 4 weeks.

Regarding LFS...there are some good ones...but I still take anything that I have only ever heard from one LFS with a grain of salt. I will usually search the AA forums or post a question when the LFS tells me something that sounds too good to be true. And it usually ends up being to good to be true...

But sounds like got some real bad advice from your LFS..a ray at 11 weeks..and changing the substrate..OUCH. I consider Rays as Expert Only. I haven't dared to put a fish in my tank and I have been cycled for 2 weeks now...another 2 weeks and I think I will take the plunge!

WC

I did not quarantine once....was fresh water....was a pleco.

I needed him for an acute algae problem...so I opted to bypass the QT process. I did not see the Pleco for 1 week after I got him. I finally saw him...COVERED WITH THE WORST CASE OF ICK!!

I had 10-15 fish who also got Ick. One fish lost his tail from fin rot. I lost 4 fish so far (including the pleco), lost 4 snails as they could not take the heat treatment. Moved 4 more bad looking fish into the hospital tank last night with body fungus, rin rot, eye problems.

QT, QT, QT!!

That is my motto now!

WC

Back
Top Bottom