Frustrated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some time (I've posted about it in this forum) I have poor results with IO. I have to add about 1/2 tsp of turbo CA to 5g of IO water to bring it to a reasonable balance. I also have PH issues with IO as well. I have decided this past week, when my current bag runs out, I am going to switch salt mixes.

I am glad to hear that this may be the source of my problems. I do not think it is a coincidence that my ph and calcium levels are also affected. I do not think I will finish my current bag! :x

Has anyone attempted to contact the manufacturer of IO? find out if there has been a change to the chemistry of the product of if perhaps there was a "bad batch" ?

I contacted Aquarium Systems last year, they do not believe there is a problem with their salt, I have also posted on this forum and RAG and at the time, mine was not the normal experience. ReefLady went as far as to test her newly made up salt and her numbers looked good...Aquarium systems replaced my salt, but I test each new bag I buy and the results are always the same, CA around 350, Alk around 14-17 DKH, probably a Mag deficiency, it is the mag that clouds the salt, the super fast mixing salts tend to have low mag.

Seems we may be coming to some kind of consensus here. I will post the results of the newly mixed batch I make up hopefully tomorrow.

Curious :?: :?:

Cheers
Steve

ya know, my husband swore up and down that he felt the salt mix was responsible for our big tank crashing, but I kept saying no way......now I wonder. I mean, it was an hour after a water change.

I have batch that's been mixing for 2 days (got home too late to make the change tonight). I'll test it before aI make the change but it might have to wait till Friday now.

All this talk about problems with salt has me thinking about my choice. I originally bought Tropic Marine salt when I converted to SW, using the logic that it is the most expensive one the LFS has (of the 4 brands) so it must be the best. I have stayed with it and have had good readings. I just mixed up 15 gals and will let it set up for 24 hrs in a bucket with PH and heater, then test it tomorow and see what the results are. I will post them here if anyone is interested.

pipermurphy said:
I will post them here if anyone is interested.

(y) Yes please!

As well as anyone else that wishes to contribute, that would be great.

Brand, SG, ph, Ca, Alk and if available Mg.

Thanks All
Cheers
Steve

Okay here are my results using all the test kits I now have:

First off I tested the PH on my RO water which came out at6.5 on the Hagen test.

My SW results are:
Tested Results Test co used

1. SG - 1.023 31 ppt Coral life deep six
2. PH - 8.6 Dry tab Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
3. PH - 8.50 Hagen
4. Nitrate NO3 0 Aqu Pharm
5. Nitrite NO4 0 Aqu Phar
6. Calcium 360 Nutrafin Hagen
7. Amonia NH3/NH4 0 Hagen
8. Magnesium MG 1470 ppm Salifert

Are these good test results?
Should I test for something else?
Would you be happy with these results?
Should I up or dose anything?

Hope this helps

I would say the results are decent. bumping the SG up to 1.025 might bring the CA up closer to 400ppm. You should also be testing ALK. I'm really surprised with the Mag levels, Your using Tropic Marin (right), that's a very good level for a salt mix. I would have expected closer to 1300ppm.

Yes sir, I am using Tropic Marine salt mix. It was my first time testing for Mag & I did the test twice to make sure of my results. The SG and CA readings were before adding the mix to the tank, I do try to keep the tank at 1.025and CA at 400.
I will buy ALK test soon.
Thanks

Impressive results, I know what salt I will be using next time. Do you circulate yours with a powerhead? If so, were these results after? :D

Yes for now I am mixing them in 5 gal containers, till I can get around to buying a bigger rubbermaid. (I commute on my motorcycle during the week so my shopping has to wait till the weekend.) I use a RIO 600 with a heater in each one. The results I posted are after 24 hours of circulation.
The salt is expensive, the first time I bought it was $65.00 from the LFS, the 2nd time was at another store for $60.00. Be prepared.

www.thatpetplace.com has the 200 gal bucket for 43.99 shipped it still costs me less than the lfs charges and i buy 2 buckets at once because the shipping does not double bringing my per bucket cost down even more...a word of caution have read if you plan on switching salt it should be done gradually...just like everything else in this hobby :wink:

I finally got around to the water change last night. My batch of IO had been mixing for 4 days. Approx 15 gallons mixed to 1.03 SG (refractometer)

My results are:
IO new batch Tank
SG 1.03 1.025
PH 8.3 8.1
Ammonia 0 0
Nitrite 0 0
Nitrate 0 7
Calcium 390 350
Alk meq/L 3.0 4.0

Tank
SG 1.025
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 7
Calcium 350
Alk meq/L 4.0

OK, I have mixed up a batch of Tropic Marin and here are the results.

SG: 1.026
CA: 410ppm
ALK: 3.77 Meq/L
Mg: 1375

I am mixing 1/2 gallon of IO right now, will test a little later and post back the results ;)

Back
Top Bottom