Frustrated and thinking of going back to freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbee with a lot of bad advice from local pet store who would prefer to sell me something than advise me in fish keeping.

I started a 55 gal saltwater tank 10 weeks ago. I only intend to have fish, live rock, and sand. I now have invested A LOT of time and MONEY and have decided I do not have the unlimited deep pockets it is going to take to keep this thing going. I did not do sufficient research before diving in. I only took the advice of my lfs. Dummy Me.

Now to my question. (I have had a fresh water aquarium for 10 years no problems.) Can I keep the sand, live rock (approx. 5 lbs), and decorative coral and change over to fresh water or do I have to scrap the whole thing and go back to square one? I am hoping that the lfs will give me credit for my two clowns, 3 crabs and 1 turbo snail. Can I sell a used protein skimmer, power heads, ect.? I know my filter will work for fresh water so at least that wont be wasted.

Can I down size to a 10 gal with the fish and live rock I have and be successful? It seems it would be much cheeper to keep.

I have killed $88.00 worth of fish and spent $45.00 in medication trying to save them by treating my main tank because the lfs didn't think qt tanks were neccessary. After all this I found your web sight and It could have saved me a fortune in equip. ect.[/list][/code]

I would think the salt content in the rocks and sand would be "extremly" hard to get rid of. I wouldn;t even try it if I was you. Maybe run a add in the paper I am sure someone would rather get it from you at discount than go lfs

sad sad but ya live and learn and now that ya know about this site ya still want to scrap everything?? imo i feel so many people try to hard and not let nature take its course !! keeping a fish only salt tank is way to easy (at least for me ) hate to see someone give up after 10 weeks :-(
being your first salt tank should of started with some damsels or equal hardy fish first and if ya cant keep them alive then houston we have a prob somewhere?!?!? and many people here can point you in the right direction !! and never listen to a pet shop i dont ever !! if they dont have a fish bible to read im not buying anything :) sorry about your probs not sure what they are but would give you my input if it helps

also no matter what ya try sometimes ya get bad live stock so might not be all your fault !! after my first copperbanded died i was like im gonna buy one more from you and if it dies thats it ill buy one else where !!

dont be discouraged. this is a true hobby of patients. the only extra costs for a FO tank will be for the salt and it really isnt that much. ask us any questions you have before you give up completely. maybe we can help you back in.

While I echo the others, I would like to answer your questions...

but first...

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Can I keep the sand, live rock (approx. 5 lbs), and decorative coral and change over to fresh water

Unless your keeping all hard water species like african cichlids, the CA that would end up in the water due to FW ph, would calcify the fishes liver and kidneys.

Can I sell a used protein skimmer, power heads, ect.?

Yep, but don't expect to get near what you paid for them, feel free to advertise in the classifieds section of the site. What brand of skimmer and phs?

Can I down size to a 10 gal with the fish and live rock I have and be successful?

IMO, with the equipment your thinking of getting rid of and the sand...yes you can, I would however add about 5-10 more lds of LR or base rock. This will provide all the biological filtration with the sand and the skimmer will preform mechanical and chemical filtration. One thing to know, smaller SW tanks are considered more difficult than larger. However, now that you have a support group offering good advice, it is certainly doable.

I feel your frustration and I think most in this hobby have been where you are. It is hard to sit back and be patient. Especially if you are like me and have way too much "id" and no 'super ego." You already have a fair investment in this...ride it out. When I run short on cash I just let things sit until I build some up. It is important to understand that this is a progressive hobby, do not be in a hurry. Relax and enjoy the process. Any really, is anyone ever "done" with an aquarium. Please do not give up on saltwater, it is worth the heartache.

I went through the same process when I first started my SW tank. It was a 55 and I was an idiot. I sent alot of damsels and several clowns to meet their maker simply because I made simple mistakes that with the help of the people like those in this forum I might not have made. I was close to giving up at one point, but almost 3 years later I've graduated to a 150 and I'm in the process of making my original 55 a reef tank.

Of course if you do give up you wont know what your missing, but trust me FW tanks are boring!!!

Sorry to hear your problems..
If you need to sell the skimmer and dont' mind putting it in a box, I would like to buy it ! I need a skimmer fo rmy new 55... Thanks
Rich

Depending on the equipment you have, and if you're willing to try one more time, we can probably help you get a successful tank going. It's really not all that hard...you just have to have the right info. It does take lots of patience and you've already spent most of the money you'll have to spend. Up for one more try? :mrgreen:

I would trust your instincts, if you feel like going back to fresh, then by all means do it. Saltwater is NOT for everyone. You have been given good advice and the majority of the things are salvageable. Even the live rock could be purchased back by the LFS.

Sounds like you have a complete setup to me, I don't see any other great expenses down the road for you to have to have deep pockets for....other than salt. Cartridges for FW filters will eventually match this cost anyway.

Don't give up, you found a place with better advice so there is nothing stopping you from being successful now.

I feel you pain. My 210 has been up and running since Sep. After some bad advise (don't bother with quarantine) I added too many fish too fast and ended up losing 4 of my pet to velvet. I got the rest in a QT, treated with copper and everyone looks great. The main has been empty of fish for 6 weeks now, 2 more and they go back in the pool. Its been rough and I almost gave up, but with the fish in the QT tanks, we have gotten to know them better, see their personalities and have become quite fond of them. Looking forward to moving along at a slower pace this time.
I guess the message is, go slow, don't give up. There is light and the end of the tunnel.

I am very sorry to hear of your problems. I know that it can be very frustrating but I will let you know that I agree with eveyone else here in that you seem to have all that you need. The most important things I have found in this hobby however are not the most obvious. Patience and knowledge. You have found the knowledge here and at this point it would probably be easier to just keep plugging along. I know that if you ask about what you want and do a little homework on something before you buy it you really should have no problems. IMO I would also consider going to a different LFS.. If the one you are going to is importing Cynaide caught fish then it's not your problem any way. But whatever you decide Like everyone else in here I will be happy to help you all I can.

Doan

beachbumin said:
Sorry to hear your lfs did you wrong!! Im in wilmington and its happened here too. If your still intrested in selling the skimmer or powerheads drop me a line!

HEY :) I got dibs on that skimmer :)

Back
Top Bottom