Full spectrum Led light question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

000trick000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking into some cheaper full spectrum led lights (don't know what kind yet) im not sure if I need 2 lights or just 1. I have a 46 gal bowfront, 36" wide, seems like most lights that I see online is only 16" long so I'm thinking that I need 2. I don't want any bright and dark spots. Also if anyone has had any luck with a particular brand please let me know. I'm looking to spend around 250-300$ thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use ocean revive lights. I've had many people agree with me and just a few say that saving up and getting something better will pay off. Me and all my buddies use ocean revive and have had zero issues and awesome growth. You can get a unit for like 180? Something like that.

heres a example of what mebbid is saying
sometimes they just don't look right especially after you add coral

img_3076280_0_9e7d419c18924bbf42b6974c92664121.jpg

Oh I see what you are saying, well I'm a newbie and I seen a tank with full spectrum lights and it was really a big difference from the all white to the full spectrum. I just really liked the looks of it. Would raising the lights up off the surface of the water a lil higher solve the red-green spot problem? I don't know, I guess I'm not sold on the full spec yet, need to do a lil more research.

Amazon is a good place to look as well as Ebay.If you want to go with Ocean Revive they also come in 24" and 32". they are going for $329 for the 24" and $449(over your budget but save you some searching time). If yo u have any questions about the lights: oceanrevive.com . I am still deciding myself. I have a list of lighta on Amazon and i am watching the prices. I am looking at full spectrum because i like the color purple and i liked the look.Good luck!

I use Full spectrum LEDs off eBay. 165 watts fully dimmable and only 89.99 with free shipping

Ok thanks for the info!! Yea I think I ran across the ocean revive before, so the 24" would probably be all that I need for my 36" long tank? Or should I buy 2 16" lights and have the ability to dim them down and keep the led's run cooler. I don't know if that makes much sense? It just seems like everyone's problems stem from heat build up?

Ok thanks for the info!! Yea I think I ran across the ocean revive before, so the 24" would probably be all that I need for my 36" long tank? Or should I buy 2 16" lights and have the ability to dim them down and keep the led's run cooler. I don't know if that makes much sense? It just seems like everyone's problems stem from heat build up?

So 1 16" would be enough if I hang it high enough? Would 2 be better if I dimmed them down, to keep the heat on the led's down? Or is that not a problem?

Specifically talking about the eBay led systems a single unit is enough to light up a 2 foot section of tank to grow any coral. If you raise the light higher to distribute the light more, it will help but not eliminate the dim spots on the sides. However, it will also decrease the amount of light limiting the corals you can grow.

Heat isn't an issue at all with led light systems.

Ok, the 24" is the way to go for my 36" long tank. As far as heat goes I didn't know about the heat in the diodes damaging the lights themselves, not so much heating up the water.

Wow, those are expensive. But yeah we are talking about different fixtures. I can't comment on those because ive never used them before... or ever heard of them.

Yea there a lil spicy but they are programmable and they have bridgelux LEDs, I've Atleast heard of them. And I have some time to see if I can find them a lil cheaper

Just so you're aware, bridgelux is what all the ebay brands use for the most part. If you're going to spend that much on a light, you might as well get one with cree or phillips LEDs.

Oh, ok. I thought I was onto something. Lol:) going to talk to a guy tomorrow about building me a light. See what kind of money I can spend with him.

Back
Top Bottom