Future 180 Gallon Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
27.5 inches tall is going to be a pain for a reef. You won't be able to reach the bottom. I would suggest not getting anything that's over 25". My tank is 25" tall, and I have trouble reaching the bottom towards the middle of the tank.

Yeah I'm still looking but no luck. I thought the same about the height.

I'm considering this one off of CL.

image-1448099960.jpg

image-347108638.jpg

It only has this one overflow rated for 1500 though.

This is the ad.

180 gallon Oceanic glass aquarium, minimal scratches, custom drilled overflow that takes up almost NO space in tank. Beautiful dark wood stand and canopy, could use some stain touch ups at bottom of stand.
Coralife lighting with 4 actinics, 3 metal halides, 4 led moonlights (2 are out) bulbs are still good.
Custom 40 - 45 gallon sump with return pump, PM redline 225 skimmer, Coralife UV sterilizer with pump. 3 power heads, unsure of gpm anymore. Large mag float. 1 Coralife t5 light kit for sump, if you want to use sump as refugium, bulbs need to be replaced. Power strips, light timers, plumbing, and 6 sump socks. Feeding clips, glass scrapers, turkey baster, and 10 - 5 gallon jugs. 2 - 35 gallon brute trash cans, used for water changes only. 2 heaters.
The fish are amazing and coexist beautifully. 1 LARGE hippo tang - eats from your hand and allows "petting". 1 LARGE Foxface butterfly fish that's more like a dog that a fish :) 2 tomato clowns that spawn regularly and do not terrorize other fish. 1 lone chromis. 2 large yellow tangs. All of the fish are fat, healthy, no signs of ich for well over a year, happy eaters. I large long spine sea urchin, 1 large coral banded shrimp. Multiple tube worms, purple and yellow sponges. 1 large hermit.
All soft corals, beautiful torch coral, tree corals, multiple different mushrooms, 2 rose anemones, healthy and host clowns. Rock with green star polyps. 100+ lbs live rock.
Hate to let this go but would rather it be with someone who has the time to care for it. Buyer will be responsible for moving fish corals and tank.

What do you think about the overflow? Should I buy a HoB for the other side?

Ok so I decided to go with this used 180 because of the price.

I don't want to keep any of the sand it comes with and I don't want to transfer the sand from my 90.

Would I be able to arrange the rock work on the glass, and transfer all the fish and corals. Then add the sand once I receive it without having to remove all the fish and corals again?

Ok more questions....

Should I use egg crate on the bottom to lay the live rock on?

I've used egg crate with some tanks and not with others. lol It was easy enough to put in so I would vote for yes, better safe than sorry. :)

I think it's a waste of time. I think it's nearly impossible to break the glass with an inch of sand covering it in the event of a rock slide under water. I have dropped plenty of rocks on the sand bed and Never saw any adverse effects.
I would keep the sand but just rinse it thoroughly. Sand is pricey.

I don't like egg crate either. But I also didn't want obstructions blocking the sand bed for my sand sifting star I've had almost two years now.

Ok I got the tank now how do I clean it? I've cleaned some using vinegar but how many gallons do I add?

I don't remember how to do it. I'm think if adding a couple gallons of vinegar and running the power heads over night. In the morning scrapping off the glass?

Do I run it with the sand that is in the sump or do i need to remove all of it?

The vinegar solution is just going to kill whatever is in it. Up to you if you want to remove it or leave it. It will have to be rinsed thoroughly either way.

I decided not to clean the tank out with vinegar. Im just going to fill it up and scrape the glass the best that I can. The reason being that the live rock that came with the purchase was full of red and blue mushrooms, sponges and a large ricordia. I had the rocks in a brute garbage can in my garage but it was getting way to hot to keep it there.

Pictures to come, soon.

Ok here is a bad picture of what I have so far.

image-3145606179.jpg

I'm waiting on the sand to arrive so I can transfer all my corals and fish. The fish that I got with this deal are huge and are in my 90 right now. I got 2 cinnamon clown fish that host 2 RBTA, 1 large Foxface, 2 large yellow tangs and 1 large Blue Hippo.

I'm not sure if I should wait to add the sand and let it settle before transferring the rest of my live rock, corals and fish OR should I just transfer everything and then add the sand last?

These fish are large and my 90 seems too crowded for them.

I personally wouldn't add the sand last, it seems that no matter how we do it or how careful we are, it always turns into a hellacious sandstorm. I don't think that either the fish or corals would take too kindly to a ton of sand getting blown around. id just wash the sand you got now very thoroughly, put in tank, add water, then powerheads, fish, then corals. if you need to, set up a temp home right next to the tank and keep the corals/fish in there. id just be careful if you put fish in there. don't leave them there overnight and always make sure you keep them accounted for (don't need a jumper death)

Well, I've already bought the sand from marcorocks.com. Since this purchase came with live rock and corals I needed somewhere to place them. I decided to add the egg crate since I didn't have the sand and I filled the tank up.

Back
Top Bottom