Future 180 Gallon Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so everyone is alive.

Yesterday before the dose my phosphates were at .25, my Ammonia at .25 and my Nitrates at 20ppm. Today after the 30 gallon WC my Phosphates are at 0, my ammonia at 0 and my nitrates stayed at 20ppm.

Are oxygen bubbles bad?

The way I have my wavemakers set they cause a small tornado of air bubbles.

Great, I just noticed some of the live rock I got with this deal has aiptasia.

Has anyone had any luck removing aiptasia with peppermint shrimp?

Has anyone had any luck removing aiptasia with peppermint shrimp?

Short lived. Of all the ones I tried only one nibbled on them. And that was only for a day.

Only sure fire is manual intervention. I targeted with a syringe of either lemon juice or kalk paste. Took some time but eventually eliminated all of them. No sign of any in a year.

I had amazing luck with peppermint shrimp in a tank I was looking after. I was unable to kalk anything directly due to the design of the in wall set up. A half dozen peppermints wiped out the aptasia in about a week, and I'm talking some pretty huge ones too. I never would have believed it if I didn't see it. Still, hit or miss though. If you can manually kalk paste them, I would suggest this as well.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to try my luck with the shrimp. It would be impossible with the way I have my wall setup and I'ld hate to have to re-do it.

At one point I had aptaisia all over my thank and was using aptaisia X. It helped but every day I would have more. Threw in 3 peppermint shrimp in a week I could not find any. About a month later I was down to two peppermint. About 4 months later just one. I hsve not seen a peppermint in my tank for about three weeks now. But take a guess what I found yesterday? Yup one aptaisia. Time for more shrimp

If you are using kalkwasser to kill anemones, squirt a generous amount on the mouth of the anemone if possible, then when it closes up and shrivels, cover the visible flesh with more kalkwasser. Kalkwasser or aptasia-X are not poisons really, they are caustic solutions used to burn the flesh of the anemone. You really want to cover them up good if possible.

What about the fish?

Am I heavily stocked or can I add a couple more? Any suggestions on Fish? I was thinking about getting a flame angel and a Powder blue tang.

Current crew:
3 Yellow Tangs
1 Sailfin
1 Blue Hippo
1 Foxface
2 Cinnamon Clown Fish
1 Ocellaris clownfish
1 bicolor blenny
1 lawnmower blenny
1 Chromis
1 Blue Damsel
1 mandarin

I think you are done. 6 ultimately large fish....7 if you count the full grown algae blenny, which will be 5".

Ok sounds good. Everyone seems to get along plus its probably best not to chance getting ich or something else introducing a new fish. I guess I'll have to settle until I upgrade again.

Can 2 Anenome's touch? I have a RBTA that's gotten real close to my GBTA.

I don't believe that will be a problem. You just don't want different types of anemones touching. Just observe the two and see if you notice any issues.

Yes, they will be fine. Actually, I had a carpet and a rose bubble that were in close proximity and I'm sure they touched here and there and neither showed a care about it. Bubble tips are definitely ok to touch though.

Back
Top Bottom