Galaxea won't spread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claw Atticas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought some Galaxea coral, probably about 6 months back, and it has not spread since I bought it... I've been keeping calcium levels high (Around 400-450), and an attack of hair algae pretty much destroyed about 75% of the original amount, and coralline's taken over where I got rid of the hair algae, but even before the hair algae bloom, I haven't seen any growth, even though the fish store said it's one of the faster growing SPSes.
Below, the extent of the hair algae damage.
100_4942.jpg
100_4943.jpg

Galaxea is a LPS. Again what kind of lighting? It wont grow too fast under PC or T5HO. Perameters and where is it placed in the tank.

The coral is under a T5HO, with two actinics, and two 10k daylights. Calcium is usually around 400 to 450, magnesium 1380 last time I checked, phosphates, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia 0 (Though I don't think that matters much). I've been swapping it between medium to high water flow, depending on it's position in the tank, kept it most of the time near the top, closest to the lights, now it's about in the middle-level of the tank, in a medium flow.

With a nasty hair algae problem, your water parameters probably weren't the best in the world there for a time. That probably didn't help things get off on the right foot with it. It'll probably take a while to recover. New corals always seem to take several months (like 3-4 months) in my tank before they really start showing growth.

As far as placement, probably mid level is fine, but they want low to moderate flow. Find a good spot and try and leave it there without disturbing it for several months.

Back
Top Bottom