General Hardness Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering how to lower GH. My tank has been running for about 2 months now. My water parameters are good. I tested KH and that was normal(9 dkh). When I test for GH, my test is off the charts(60). I filled the tank with RO/DI and I do all water changes with the same. I was wondering if I should change the resin in the DI. I have a 150 gallon, so the RO/DI has worked alot lately.

Can someone let me know if this is a real problem? I have a clown and a blue hippo tang, which are doing fine. Should I change my DI and do some water changes or is there something on the market I could use?

Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i was under the impression you don't have to worry about general hardness for saltwater. I test for KH regularly, but read in my handy-dandy saltwater aquarium book that GH isn't something to worry about. I checked that with the lfs when I first got started.

Correct, GH is the measure of Ca and Mg combined. Together the information is useless to us. These components must be measured seperately.

9 DKH is also just fine, as long as pH is steady and healthy don't adjust that.

Cheers
Steve

My PH is steady at 8.2 and Calcium is 400. So I will just leave it alone.

Thanks, guys.

Back
Top Bottom