Gettin Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvarez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I get the 55 gallon tank, I get the salt, I get the sand, I get the water, I get the salinity guage, I get the LR and drop it in. I put a shimp in there and let it rot and let the good bacteria start to build up.

What all will I need before adding fish? I was told a HOB filter would be fine. However I will need to add a powerhead to create some current right? Is there anything else I need to get or do I have something wrong in my information thus far?

I would get a protein skimmer as well, although it won't take out much in the beginning. But as your tank gets older and you start to add fish, it is almost a must.

Sounds good to me... HOB filter is fine... you might want to run it without the filter media in it since it contains carbon.. Won't be needing that for some time... Set it up, fill it, throw the shrimp in and watch it rot... Buy a test kit and test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH for now... Test every other day and watch the levels of ammonia rise then fall and nitrite rise and fall and when ammonia and nitrite are 0 then you are ready for fish... Could take a couple of weeks to over a month... You are on your way to being a successful Marine Aquarist :D

Edited:

I have to say the protien skimmer is not needed for prolly another 3 months if at all.. It all depends on what you want to keep and how often you do water changes... It is up to you...

The protein skimmer is a filter correct? It wouldn't be overkill to have a HOB and a Skimmer correct?

If a skimmer becomes a must why even bother with a HOB? The tank won't need to be drilled or anything right?

The protein skimmer is a filter correct? It wouldn't be overkill to have a HOB and a Skimmer correct?

Yes it is a type of filter... used primarily to export DOC's (Disolved Organic Compounds or Carbons). That is it's duty...

It would not be overkill IMO to have both.. The HOB would give you the added area to put GAC and other media in water flow.. Plus, it creates flow in you tank...

If a skimmer becomes a must why even bother with a HOB? The tank won't need to be drilled or anything right?

I answered the first part of this above. The tank would not need to be drilled.. they have decent HOB Skimmers as well...

What about overflow... people mention overflows with SW tanks... is that a must? or needed at all?

As far as I understand it, it's a safety feature.
My tank has a built in overflow (drilled reef ready type), so that's prolly a little different then an diy type overflow.
Simply put, it's to prevent your water from exceeding the capacity of your tank and making a huge mess.
If your setup doesn't contain 'extra' water (like in a sump situation), then I don't guess you'd need one..

Alvarez said:
What about overflow... people mention overflows with SW tanks... is that a must? or needed at all?

Overflows are only useful if you have a sump. Thats the method of moving tank water to the sump :)

Back
Top Bottom