Getting ready for first water change - when and how much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate C

Aquarium Advice Activist
Brand new user, Brand new tank - first post.... :lol:

I just installed 70lbs uncured live tonga rock into my 90gal tank on Saturday around lunch, then turned on the filters. I tested my levels Sunday evening:

SG - <1.025>
Nh3/Nh4 - <5.0>
N02 - <0>
N03 - <0>
Ph - <7.8>

My ammonia is high, but not a huge suprise since this is the beginning of my cycle.

I'm wondering how long do I wait (and let the ammonia possibly climb some more?) before changing some water out - also how much would you swap the first time? (I run all my water thru an RO and mix salt prior to putting in the tank).

Thanks in advance.

Nate C

90 gal (establish Aug 14, 2004). Light: 3x30w Flo (2 coralife, 1 generic aqualite). Filter: 4100 lph pump in wet-dry sump. Prizm protein skimmer. Inhabitants: 70lbs LR (new) 40lbs sand. No critters spotted yet, no inverts or fish added.

I had heard that you wait till the amm is 0, the nitrite is 0 then you change appx 20 percent water then you can start adding life slowly. But that's just what I've read and been told. I didn't change the water for the first time till both am and ni were at 0. Seemed to work great for me. I have two 80-90 gallons and one 20 gal QT right now.

sound advice, except more than a 20% change will be needed, to bring nitrates down to a reasonable level, IF this is a reef setup. If it's FOWLR, do a water change that'll put nitrates at or below 20ppm, after the cycle.

How often you do water changes whilst curing uncured LR depends on how much life there is that you want to preserve. I personally did a large one every other day for the first week or so. After the main die-off had been taken care of I just left the tank in the dark for the next 2 - 3 weeks to let the cycle complete. As mentioned already, at the end of the cycle you'll have to do another large change to bring the nitrates down and then you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom