Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking this christmas of getting a 20 gallon saltwater tank... What are some good fish that stay small and would work together... What kind of filter will I need etc. Thank you

i'm moving this thread to the "getting started" forum. at the top of that forum you'll find a lot of good information about stocking and getting started.

What fish do you think would be good for this setup... There are some bottom fish that I really like... Are there some tangs that don't get so big... Any suggestions are appreciated.

no way tangs will work in a 20 gallon tank. the smallest tangs are about 5" full grown. not to mention that they are open water swimmers. they need a lot more space than some other fish. the popular consensus is that they should be in a 6' tank.
any of these fish would be suitable for a 20 gallon-
Nano Fish

What about like a scooter blenny? Would damsels, wrasses, dottybacks, or cardinals work. Permitting they stay fairly small.

What about like a scooter blenny? Would damsels, wrasses, dottybacks, or cardinals work. Permitting they stay fairly small.

A Scooter Blenny would fit in that size tank, but I wouldn't get one if you are a beginner, because they are hard to get to eat. Their diet in the wild consists of pods, which in order to replicate in the aquarium, you have to let the population build up for a few months. This is best done with a refugium. I do not recommend a scooter, at least for right now. On another note, Damsels would work. Also, a smaller wrasse like a sixline might work also. If you get a wrasse, make sure they take is covered, as they are jumpers. Some smaller Dottybacks may work, providing they are the last fish added to the tank. They are very aggressive. Also Cardinals would work. Some good micro fish are Clown Gobies, if you are looking for suggestions.:)

Yep, a scooter is not a good beginner fish. Took me well over a month to get mine on prepared foods and I was lucky. I also had pods in my tank already and a refugium. I was told in the store that they would eat anything so i bought it not knowing. They wouldn't take it back and no one else would take it so I had to keep him. But it worked out for me

Back
Top Bottom