Getting started.. FOWR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All,

I am a newby to SW. I was in my LFS and they told me I didnt need a PSK unless I was doing coral. For now I am starting off with 100g tank and 20g sump with bioballs.

In the tank I have sand and 150 lbs dry rock. I plan to buy a few lbs of live rock and scatter it about and let it transfer into the rocks I already have. How many should I buy, Its so expensive at $8 per pound I was not going to buy much.

Will that be enough live rock for 2 or 3 little clown fishes? They said I have enough water volume that should be fine for the time being until I buy some more stuff.

Do I need a protein skimmer?

Thanks.

I think a protein skimmer is always a good idea but I'm not sure. As far as live rock you can get in online, eBay and several other site that sell it for $3 a pound! :D

you don't need much live rock. just like you said, a few pounds is fine. some times it's a negative having any ocean rock, due to the nuisance algae and other hitch hikers that can come with it.
stick with a pair of clown fish. in some cases they pair up and the odd clown is attacked.

i agree that a protein skimmer is a good idea on a large tank like you have. a protein skimmer helps to clean, and aerate the water. it's a good investment. make sure if you purchase one, you research them a bit and get a good quality one. there are a few out there that are not worth the money. also, choose one that is rated for 1.5-2 times your tank volume.

Last edited:
20% of LR or even less is fine. All rock becomes Live Rock in time. The LIVE part means it houses the beneficial bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle.

What type of dry rock do you have?
Is it dead coral with lots of spaces, or smooth rock?

With 1 - 2 pounds of porous rock per gallon of volume you don't need any bioballs to help with biological filtration. Might as well get rid of them now.

You stated you have a sump with bioballs. Is it a true sump or a wet/dry system?

Thanks!

Mr X - I bought a pair of clowns and 5 lbs of live rock. That should get me started. I added some purple up to help get the free pieces of Coraline going that the LFS gave me! I got a freebie star fish that was hiding out on either the rock or the pieces of Coraline. YEAY!

CMOR - The Rock that I have is very porous so how long should it take for the beneficial bacteria to take over on those rocks?
The sump I have is really a wet dry, I can easily convert it to a regular sump tho, I think with a bit of handy work.

I will post some pics once it clears up a bit. That purple up made it cloudy :(

Congratz! Nice fishies. So your tank was all cycled already? I'd ditch those bioballs, I started out with them in the back of my biocube, but quickly swapped them out for live rock rubble.

Back
Top Bottom