Getting Started Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinotrex

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I have a 55 gallon tank and I'm wanting to start with a fish only tank first and maybe later evolve to a reef like tank. So If i'm just starting new to this, In terms of Protein Skimmers and External Filters, Does anyone have any suggestions as to which ones to purchase? I've looked at the stores and compared them to Ebay, Skimmers range from $40 to $300, What the hell?!?!?!? Are these $40 ones just crap of the crap? But then again, these $40 ones seem to come highly recommended. After much reading, I've gathered that I can go with a Protein Skimmer and a External Filter to emlimate the fact that I need a sump, at least for now or until I go with live corals, live rocks and Anemones. Is this correct to say? Also, With Corals and Rocks, Will fish survive with fake corals and non-living rocks?

as far as the protein skimmer id get a aqua c remora. Yea, the 40 ones are basically worthless. I'd get Live rock if i were you. It will be your main form of biological filtration. I also suggest a 3-4 ince deep sand bed. Those together will eliminate the need for a external filter IMO. Fish can survive w/ fake coral and any rock you put in it will become "living". That just refers to the fact thta it has beneficial bacteria living on/in it. Also, it looks very pleasurable and brings a lot more life to the aquarium.

HTH
rosstifer

Back
Top Bottom