Getting undesirable critters off new live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jddias67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All - I am planning to put about 100lbs of "cured" live rock into a 120 gal new tank in a week or so. ' any thoughts on how to best remove mantis shrimp or other potential troublemakers? I am planning on a hypersaline dip for minute or so -- does this work? Any tips? ' any suggetsed readings?
Thanks - john

Since its a new tank I'd just dump all the rock in. If/when any 'bad guys' show up it will give you something to do while the tank matures.

it will give you something to do while the tank matures.

Yea, like chase them around the tank. :lol: . There are 3 anveues here,

1. Leave em. Catch them when you can unless you have a problem.

2. high sg dip, then sort through the critters and decide which ones you want.

3. carbonated water dip, same as 2.

I personally like the high sg dip if you have to.

Unfortunatly I am still new and don't know about all the "wanted and not wanted" so I chose option 1 on my last order. Actually glad I did. Found out today I have a porclin (spelling) (take it easy on me Bearfan) :p , and I think I have a pistol shrimp. Once in a while I hear a "popping" sound comming from my tank. Almost like a click? HTH

24 hours? NE! said:
The other option is to trap them if you can. The size of the hitchiker can help make your decision.

Good luck with traps on 100#...I did a carbonated water dip and then trapped the remaining. Glad I did the dip first.

either the high sg dip or carbonated dip work best imo

Atari said:
Bearfan said:
Think I spent ~$350 shipped.
Wow, you wouldn't even get 50 lbs for that here.

Yeap, just paid £189 for 20kgs (44lbs) here, came today from STM & I did the carbonated dip on it, nothing came out though :(

The rock was well packed in a thick cling film type stuff & smelt ok on unwrapping, bloody surprised though just how little rock that is & I only have a 30gal tank!!

Gonna stack the rock in the tank with help from wifey tonight & then I'll add a couple of raw tiger prawns to get the cycle going

Its exciting now! :)

Cheers Shelton.

Live rock cost

I ended up ordering 70lbs tonga and 44lbs fiji from Marine Depot for $500 w/shipping. It is scheduled to be delivered on 7/14.

Good Lord!! Well if where you work needs to hire someone with a marketing degree, let me know as I would LOVE to afford that much!! I thought I was a big timer by spending $300 on an aquarium!!
Good for you!! thats awesome!

' got the rock!

I got the rock today from Marine Depot (spoke to "Robert" via phone)--it is beautiful! The tonga is covered with pink, orange, neon green and purple. The Fiji has a nice purple coloration. I ended up with 46 lbs Fiji, about 80 lbs Tonga and 50 lbs base rock.

' sorry - I don't have a digital camera or I would post some pics. As for hitchikers I haven't found anything but some small snails. --jd

The definition of "Bad Hitchhiker" is dependant on what kind of tank you want. If its FOWLR then you wont need to weed out near as many critters. I have a predatory tank and I didn't do any dips and set any traps. My puffer, lion, filefish, and frogfish have thoroughly enjoyed removing the hitchhikers. None of my fish are juveniles, so I doubt anything in the rock could do much more than annoy them before becoming a snack.

I paid almost $5.00 a lb with shipping.

Back
Top Bottom