GFO reactor and hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a GFO reactor on my 29 gallon tank. I was late changing the media and have a hair algae problem in some areas of my tank. How long does it take for the GFO to reduce the hair algae? I just changed the media 2 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

GFO reduces phosphates that hair algae feeds on. Remove the algae and you should be ok...that is if you had no algae prior to being late on changing out your media.
The less nutrients you put into your system, the less you have to remove. Minimal feedings mixed with water changes/top off with ro/di water will greatly assist with this as well.

GFO reduces phosphates that hair algae feeds on. Remove the algae and you should be ok...that is if you had no algae prior to being late on changing out your media.
The less nutrients you put into your system, the less you have to remove. Minimal feedings mixed with water changes/top off with ro/di water will greatly assist with this as well.

Thanks sniperhank. I was dealing with purple slim algae before but no hair algae. I have a top off system in place and I do monthly water changes about 30 % on a 29 gallon reef tank. The tank has been up and running for 7 months. I feed them about 3 or four times a week. Mostly marine pellets but one feeding I use mysis and formula one mixed with selcon. Occasionally I will feed flake food and dried krill.

The slime algae is cyanobacteria. It and the hair algae are feeding off the fact that you are feeding too much.
I would switch to weekly water changes at 10% to start bringing the nitrate/phosphate levels down. Cut back on how much you are feeding. Not feeding flakes and pellets will also help, as they are almost all phosphates. Rinsing your frozen food can also help, as the water they are processed in is packed with phosphates as well.

The slime algae is cyanobacteria. It and the hair algae are feeding off the fact that you are feeding too much.
I would switch to weekly water changes at 10% to start bringing the nitrate/phosphate levels down. Cut back on how much you are feeding. Not feeding flakes and pellets will also help, as they are almost all phosphates. Rinsing your frozen food can also help, as the water they are processed in is packed with phosphates as well.

How often should I feed them?
I do rinse the frozen food and then add the selcon. My tanks are in my office at work so they don't get fed on the weekends. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom