Glacier water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up some Glacier Water at the grocery store tonight. When I googled it at home I was not able to find out much about it. I am planning on having my LFS test this water along with the tank water and my tap water, but I was hoping to find some specs on what this company does.

This is the information that is on the machine where the water comes from:

activated carbon filter - for chlorine and odors
micron filter - for dirt, rust, and other particles
reverse osmosis - for salts and impurities
post carbon filter - improve taste of water
ultraviolet light - to ensure safe, high quality water

After buying the jug it will cost me $2 to refill 5 gallons. The jug will last me about a month doing 10% WC on a 10 gallon tank.

I assume this is better than tap, but not as good as RO/DI. I am okay with that. I am only doing a FOWLR.

from the blue machines?
I have been using it for fresh water for over a year with no problems and I have used it for salt water often, but I usually buy my saltwater from the lfs because it's actually cheaper...LOL
I hadn't used it exclusively or really long enough to see any negatives, but I do use it for top off water (my tap has high nitrate and copper) and haven't noticed any problems with it.
$2 for five gallons?, the machines here are only .25 a gallon/1.25 for 5 gallons.

but admittedly I don't test TDS.

I would check for tds I was getting water from a machine before I got my rodi filter and It was reading up in the 135 range and that's suppose to be filtered water.

It is RO water. I had LFS test it today. I am a newbie to TDS talk, but I think he said .22, which I think is pretty good. He said I don't have to refill my tank, just start using the RO for top offs and water changes. I don't plan on having any living creatures in there for about a month, so I can do a few changes and water tests before then.

My grocery store is 5 minutes away, the LFS is 20 minutes away. The time saved and the convenience of the grocery store will make up for having to pay a little more for the water. I didn't think $2 for five gallons was too bad. If I ever get a larger tank (which is possible next year) I might rethink the cost. But for now I am totally willing to pay this price to have RO water in my 10 gallon.

I used it for a while and TDS would fluctuate between 5-15 on the machine I purchased from. I tried to catch it close to the service date. It was for a FOWLR, so I was okay with it. It is up to .35 from .25 per gallon in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom