Glass for sump ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Question...Im putting together a 10gal sump for my 38 gal tank....10 gal is the olny size I can get in my cabinet. Qestions I want to put 2 baffles and a bubble trap....you think 3/32 glass would be ok the LGS (local glass shop) wants way to much....50 buck
So ya think 3/32 would be ok....I can pick it up for about 3 buck a piece of 10 X14
TIA

I got my glass baffles from the local True Value hardware store for $1.95 each. Much cheaper than the local glass shop.

1/8. Thin, but it works fine. Would go with the 3/16 next time, though.

20 20 said:
I got my glass baffles from the local True Value hardware store for $1.95 each. Much cheaper than the local glass shop.

Thanks 20 20 I went to my local True Value hardware store and had all my glass cut for 10 bucks......Thanks....you saved me a ton of money

bckane, I just saw, and replied to, your PM. Figured I'd post the answer here, also:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the spacing of my baffles, my kids have lost my last and as of now only tape measure, so I'm guessing here. The first compartment, were the main tank drains into and the skimmer is, is about 8.5 inches long. The size of this compartment was dictated by my skimmer, a Coralife SuperSkimmer 65, so it had to be that big. The bubble baffles are 1 inch apart. I would have like them to be 1.5 to 2 inches apart, but space was at a premium in this tank, so I set them at 1 inch. Made siliconing them in place a challange. I did the center one first, that was easy. With the outside two I layed a thick bead of silicone down first, and slid the baffles in place, moving them towards the center baffle. This way there was some silicone on the inside of the baffle, since I wouldn't be able to get my fingers down inside to put more silicone. This did end up leaving what looked like large gaps, but the silicone I place on the outside of the baffles is holding just fine. The middle compartment is the return compartment where my pump sits, it's about 7 inches long, and the fuge is about 6 inches long. Now that it's been running for a week, I think if I were to do it again I wouldn't have incorporated a fuge in this sump, and would have left the remaining 13 inches in the tank as a larger return area, and increased the bubble baffles to 1.5 inches. That's becuase of the evaporation. With that small return area, I've got to top off pretty much every day. If I were to install an auto-top off that issue would go away, so 'in the future' I'll look at doing that. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom