Glass tank cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.636

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a marineland LED should I put a glass cover underneath the led strip or just leave it over the open water?

Attachments

• image-3993696201.jpg
    image-3993696201.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3636455993.jpg
    image-3636455993.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 167
I use glass lids. Most manufacturers recommend using lids as well.

I clean my lids every WC as well so haze wont damper lighting.

Where can I get one? I have a 24x13 tank. Can I get one at a LFS or do I have to go to a glass manufacturer

i don't recommend a glass lid over a SW tank, you'll get PH swings, harder to oxygenate the water andand remove nitrogeon. you also lose light penetration.

the LEDs already have refectors that will keep saltcreep off just keep them clean and you'll be fine and have a healthier aquarium

i don't recommend a glass lid over a SW tank, you'll get PH swings, harder to oxygenate the water andand remove nitrogeon. you also lose light penetration.

the LEDs already have refectors that will keep saltcreep off just keep them clean and you'll be fine and have a healthier aquarium

Oh really? Great thanks! I think having it open looks a lot nicer too.

Yea I got a post on here about my tank temp and I'm thinking the glass lid keeps heat in also. I want LEDs like that but that will prob have to wait awhile.

Yea I got a post on here about my tank temp and I'm thinking the glass lid keeps heat in also. I want LEDs like that but that will prob have to wait awhile.

I paid 119.99 for my led's. and without the canopy on and the leds laid over the tank my temp is fine and staying at 78

don't think the top is keeping the heat in, it may but glass isn't a very good insulator so it'll still allow heat to be transfered out, if you're havign an issue with heat check the room temperature and if your heater or pumps are getting overly warm.

the reall only good advantage to having a canopy in my opinion is for evaporation, it does a good job of keeping water in the tank and why alot of folks keep their sumps covered but main tanks open

Sadly no. Even their brightest model, the Reef light has only 27 x 1 watt LEDs for up to 36" tank. Those are the lowest quality LEDs and not used by any other manufacturer of actual reef lights. Even inexpensive chinese LEDs use 3 watt LEDs (good) and often of the Cree make (high quality). If you want corals you cannot use those lights.

Hopefully others will chime in and provide opinions so its not just my word. BTW, that was the light I initially looked into but was fortunate enough to not get.

Glad someone told me this before I can't return it. What should I get?? I want to eventually have corals

If your seting up new lighting LEDs are the way to go. Many members have had great luck with the Taotrinic 120watt dimmable lighting. There is a long thread on the Reef Aquaria forum about this. normally 1 light per 2ft tank length. Not sure what size yours is, but if only 3ft you could probably get away with only 1 light. Ebay seems to be the way to go at around $150 or so.
Can someone post the link to these lights off ebay for Charlie.

another option is a 4 bulb T5HO or better, but you might want to upgrade in the future.

Hi all, I am new to this site and just started looking at what was being talked about. I am in the process of setting up a 135 gal tank. I just bought new Marineland plant LED lights for it and called the company to ask about using non-glass covers. They said you can use either glass or acrylic. Also they said you DO need to use covers between them and the water.

If your seting up new lighting LEDs are the way to go. Many members have had great luck with the Taotrinic 120watt dimmable lighting. There is a long thread on the Reef Aquaria forum about this. normally 1 light per 2ft tank length. Not sure what size yours is, but if only 3ft you could probably get away with only 1 light. Ebay seems to be the way to go at around $150 or so.
Can someone post the link to these lights off ebay for Charlie.

another option is a 4 bulb T5HO or better, but you might want to upgrade in the future.

I have a 24 inch x 13 x 14. Small tank. But this is my starter tank to get into it. I was planning on going with LED I like the look. I paid 119.99 for this one and figured it was what I needed. Can't trust LFS's with kids working there I guess. Thank you very much Ingy

My tank is 72X18X24 so I got three18 to 24 in. size Marineland LED lights as they don't have a 72 in light. I put them going front to back rather than long way over the tank. I think I might get a forth one when I see how things in the tank look.

Back
Top Bottom