Glass top or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am sure this question has been asked before . However, I an not necessarily contemplating a full canopy but rather a partial one. My plan is to mount my lights in a frame that would suspend them 3" over the tank. There will be a decorative block in the front (this is a corner tank) to block their view.

My question is, I was planning on mounting them over an egg-crate top as I wanted to allow an adequate surface area for gas exchange. Furthermore, I felt this would allow for excess heat to escape as well as eliminate any UV filtering by glass.

My concern is working with such high powered lighting equipment, I wonder if I should put a layer of glass to protect lights from splashes, etc.

Depending on what you have for the lighting compartment, I would consider attaching a piece of glass or acrylic to the bottom of the lighting fixture to protect the bulbs from splashes (still try and leave room for ventilation.) This protects your bulbs but leaves your tank open for gas exchange.

Since you have a 92 gal corner tank your best bet is to buy a small sheet of ¼” acrylic and custom cut it to fit your tank top just above the water in front of the lights only leaving the sides and back open for good oxygen exchange.

You really shouldn’t have the top water convulsing too much to the point of splashing your lights but it is important to have them protected incase an excited fish splashes them.

Back
Top Bottom