Going Salt Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my son has 6 weeks of chemo than gets to come home. He has been wanting nemo in his room so im cutting back on any new tank prjects for now so we can get a salt water going for him. Reall all he wants is a boy and girl nemo a nem mayb a couple small colorful thing. Do they make salt water kits (lk u get tank lights filter) also any suggestions on what size tank and what are possible tank mates. I wanna get this going for when he gets home. This will be going in his room

Ok so my son has 6 weeks of chemo than gets to come home. He has been wanting nemo in his room so im cutting back on any new tank prjects for now so we can get a salt water going for him. Reall all he wants is a boy and girl nemo a nem mayb a couple small colorful thing. Do they make salt water kits (lk u get tank lights filter) also any suggestions on what size tank and what are possible tank mates. I wanna get this going for when he gets home. This will be going in his room
the tanks the same for fresh or salt, light doesn't matter if it is just for fish and you can use a hang on back filter rated for whatever size tank your get I think I would oversize the filter just a bit though. A 20 gal. is the smallest I would go if you have the room and the money I would go a little bigger if you could maybe a 29 or 30. Hope everything is good with your son good luck.

For that type if setup you might want to consider a biocube. I have never had one but read about others. They seem quite customizable and able to support nems with the right upgrade.

Check the nano reef section.

Bio cubes thats it!!!! I am going to try n find a 29g. Now with clowns can we have 1 thats black one thats orange he wants one of each. Also in the 29 would a goby or two be ok with the clowns? My son is ok he sleeps alot n get sick alot but preyers n hopes hes a tough cookie :)

I've got a 28g jbj nano cube it is fantastic. Everthing is all in one. You will be able to do two clowns just make sure one is smaller then the other and the larger of the two will become a female. You say your son comes home in 6 weeks? If possible grab the tank now put in sand, live rock and saltwater then place a table shrimp in so the tank will cycle before he comes home. When he is home he will be able to go and select the clowns with you. If you have any questions fell free to ask lotsa people here have great advice. Good luck. :)

Awesome. Would a goby or 2 be ok with the clowns? Also is there always hitch hickers with live rock? Ive been doing reaserch on the clowns while my son naps i have a front n bak page of notes. Lol. Also would a 29g allow for another fish? Good possible tank mates for the clowns

In my tank I have two oc clowns, a royal gamma, yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, three snails, three hermits. The last fish I add will be a cherub angel I just have to find one. Ya don't want to have to much more then that. Also when you add livestock you start with clean up crew after the cycle then a few weeks later you two clowns. A few weeks later another fish and so on. You can't add them all at once you have to allow the beneficial bacteria to catch up In between additions. I also do partial water changes once a week of 3 gallons. Helps to replenish nutrients in the water and export excess waste you don't want. I feed once every other day and not a lot at that. There is lots of food in the tank for them to eat.

Ok awesome. I always thought angels got to big but u jus put a lil sparkle in my eye.:)

Ya I've seen many online. Problem being I live in Canada and I've heard Canada post dosent take kindly to shipping livestock. I've asked my lfs to order one in for me so now it's just waiting for one to show up. Thanks

Ya the cherub is Awsome but has to be the last fish added. They are the most aggressive out of my stocking list and the meanest are always the last ones added. :)

Alrighty awesome. I am gunna go pick up the 29 bio cube n salt mix today. So it will be ready for him to puck his fishys wen he gets home. And to cycle just add a table shrimp right. Im gong with live sand and live rock.

Yes that's correct. Or you can purchase ammonia from ace hardware if there's one near you. It doesn't smell as bad as a raw table shrimp sitting decaying in your tank. Just make sure it doesn't bubble when you shake it.

Also if you haven't already invest in a liquid drop testing kit. I have one made by API and it measures ammonia ph nitrites and nitrates.

Best of Luck to your tank and son!

And the live sand n live rock will help it cycle to right? And the live rock wont get harmed by the cycling right? Sorry this maybe the dumbest question I've ever asked.

Also are goby's ok with more than one or r they better with just 1? The goby is my next research project. I have two pages about the clowns. Oh and i did get the tank :) n salt mix. Tmw im going to get live rock and get the ball on the road. Now for the shrimp do i jus let it decay all the way in there? Do i do no water change durring this time. And sould the cycle be done after the shrimp has decayed?

I would put the shrimp in some cut stockings tied at the top so it's easy to clean up, yes you just let it rot keep testing the water till you see the ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates below or at 5.

I did water changes during my cycle but it isn't nessisary. Some would say it extends the cycle. The important part is that you test daily to see the Spike in ammonia which then will turn into nitrites and then nitrates. Once your nitrates read zero your cycle is complete. Keep you lights off as well it will prevent algae growth.
Put the rocks in then sand then water. This way when you get digging fish or inverts you won't have cave ins. It will be pretty cloudy but it will clear up.
What model tank did you get?

Back
Top Bottom