good base rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurtyboh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Now that I'm living in Okinawa I have found out coral skeletons was up constantly. Going to one beach I can get hundreds of pounds. Would these larger chunks work as base rock, as in be porous enough? They appear to be, but wondering if anyone has used it before, or has knowledge about them. Thanks !

i'm sure they can be but most peopel use them just as decoration in FO systems with no live rock. when they do their water changes they tend to clean the skeletons to killing any life that would be on them.

best bet is just get base rock, your fish will be happier hiding in them and swiming in and out of the caves

I wouldn`t use it as my only type of rock, i just thought it`d be cheap and look kinda cool. I just dont know how porous it is. Most bones are extremely porous and if it was the same with these it would certainly be great for benificial bacteria

indeed it would be, you can give it a try, put them in a bucket and try doign a cycle with them and see what happens

Just give em a good wash and go for, no harm can really be done. Just find the most porous pieces out there.

PS: Okinawa? Awesome!

Yeah it`s pretty exciting, can`t wait to get my open water diving cert. so I can check out all the sealife.

Also the second largest aquarium in the world is like an hr away(it has the largest viewing window). There`s also the ability for me to collect my own fish!

I think ill grab a bunch next time im at the beach. Clean it up and cure it as you would base rock. Well, at least i should say ill start curing it when my tank gets here. I just ordered the jbj nano 28 hqi.

I want some of the rock the make fences out of in my tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110715_112454.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110715_112454.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20110715_112511.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110715_112511.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 98
look into lace rock then, they shapes are pretty awesome and it is a carbonate based rock so it will do whell in a reef and its very porus

I havent found any fish stores here that sells lr, theres one more ive heard of but i cant seem to find it, i can get the homepage but my gps doesnt understand the address

Back
Top Bottom